Augh! MapShare Issue and Map Updates....

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
I'm still using a perfectly functioning TomTom GO700. I originally paid a lot of money for it (compared to what the new models go for now), I've kept the software updated on it, and I've paid to update the maps almost as soon as they come out. I just updated to the North American v7.20 map on August 1, 2008. This is the first time this map showed up as available in TomTom Home (I check every time I update my GO via Home, which is at least weekly). Even though my previous North American map was purchased 10 months prior, MapShare had stopped working on it. As soon as I updated to v7.20, Mapshare started working again and has been working without issue for the past two months.

I just now connected my GO700 to do the usual update thing, and noticed that TomTom already offers a v7.25 map update for North America! That all by itself kind of ticks me off, because I just bought the v7.20 update as soon as it was available to me, and two months later a new version is out. Although I think that stinks, I'm thinking, "Oh, well. I'll just wait about a year and buy whatever new version is available then." Well, the problem is...guess what is no longer working on v7.20 maps? Mapshare. Same problem I had with the other map, except instead of it not working after 10 months, it now stopped working 2 months after the release.

This is not acceptable to me. TomTom needs to figure out a better way to manage this MapShare expiration, and they especially can't just cut off all MapShare updates 2 months after that map version release just because they've released another map version (again, after only two months)!

I'm thinking it may be time to pass this device on to my two teenagers and move on to something completely different, more reliable, and with better support. This is saying a lot coming from someone who has been using TomTom for about 5 years now (first with a PDA then a GO unit). But TomTom doesn't seem to care about their long-time customers. They provide crippled software updates that do not have the latest SOFTWARE based features even though my GO700 hardware will support it, which is clear attempt at forcing me to buy new hardware every year (not happening). I'm beginning to regret not buying my car with the built-in navigation option. Every reason why I didn't do that is quickly being negated by TomTom's bad business and support strategies.

Sorry for venting. Anyone else having a similar issue or are you all using newer hardware?

My understanding is the mapshare servers have been down for a week and will continue to be for about another week. Whether that relates to MS for all versions of maps, I don't know.

And why TomTom does not upgrade their hardware (servers) is truly one of life's mysteries. :mad:

I do not think there was enough in the 725 versus 720 maps to bother with. As dhn said, their whole mapshare thing is down. I like many lost mine when I did the home 2.4 update, but I found the file of the last updates buried deep withing one of my App data files and manually moved it to the unit - it now again says I have 89xxx updates which will hold me until it is actually running again.

You are right about them "orphaning" older units. I had a 910 that I sold on eBay and got a new 920 for less then the difference of the cost of a new 810 map - and I got two 810 maps with the map guarantee.

If you have the latest application version and 720 maps, mapshare should work OK after it is back up. My 910 had maps 710, 715 (which was mysteriously offered as a free update by TomTom a month ago), and 720 map with app 7.161 - mapshare worked Ok with all versions.

Yours should work again OK after they get it up again.

I do not think there was enough in the 725 versus 720 maps to bother with.

Well, there was a HUGE difference between the 710 and 720 maps, so I imagine there must be at least 0.5 HUGE difference (haha) between the 720 and 725 maps. My point is that if I had known that just two months after the 720 maps were made available for my GO700 that they would've put out the 725 maps, I would've waited to buy the 725 maps and than got a 1.5 HUGE difference (again, haha).

It's good to know that someone knows that Mapshare is down. Now, why this isn't posted as a status on the TomTom website is beyond me. Or why doesn't Home state this?

Oh, well. I filed a support ticket with TomTom and they replied with the usual of "You need to call our support number..." Which I will do, because two significant map releases within 2 months is not appropriate.

I only updated to 2.4 this morning, and I have 2.4.0.104.

Oops, yes you are correct. I forgot to say that the latest is 2.4.0.94, that then updates to the one you mentioned.
This was a change they made last week to correct some issues with "operate my Rider" on HOME. It did that alright, but F*@cked up Mapshare.

Cheers!

I went back to version 2.3.0.70 to try and get the mapshare updates. It says there are like 35,000 updates available but it won't download them.

Last edited:
I went back to version 2.3.0.70 to try and get the mapshare updates. It says there are like 35,000 updates available but it won't download them.

I did the same thing with the same results. I asked the TT tech why that was, and was told that particular server is no longer available with the release of the new 2.4.0.104

I sure hope I get all my changes back when this issue is cleared up. The tech made me remove all changes, and a factory reset. Basically I am back to where I started with the 715 map of about 5 months ago.

Ugh.

cheers!

Just got off the phone with TomTom support, and I have to say that I'm quite disappointed.

My online trouble ticket said that I would need to call them to resolve this matter, but calling them didn't result in anything other than someone taking down the exact same information that I provided in the online trouble ticket -- computer operating system, GO model, serial number, map version, TT app version, and Home version. Then the tech support person put me on hold twice for about 4 minutes each time, and finally came back on and said that this would have to be escalated to a higher level of support for resolution.

Where I'm confused is why couldn't they have decided all this from just my online trouble ticket? He didn't get any additional information from me, so it's not like I actually needed to call in. They simply closed my online trouble ticket, and now it's been replaced with this one that says the exact same thing.

Anywho....

I did find out some info about maps. Map updates are released quarterly now. I did not know that. The last I heard, map updates were about yearly. However, even though they are released quarterly, Home will only notify you about them when the version that will work for your particular device is available. Since I'm using a crummy old (haha) GO700, I wasn't notified of the v720 (which was released in May 2008) until August 2008. I guess that's my punishment for continuing to use my perfectly working GO 700. My bad!

So the good news is that our maps are finally updated more often than annually. The bad news is that if you have an old device, your update can be 4 months behind the updates for the new devices.

I'm going out on eBay now to see if I can find the navigation system that I should've bought with my car is available...maybe from someone silly enough to think that a TomTom would work better for them. Haha.

I ogt a 720 map in May. It was meant for a 720, but worked fine on a 910. I believe the latest (an possibly last) map for older devices is 725. TomTom is not going to allow older units to upgrade to application version 8.xx, which is needed to get the 8xx maps.

If you are going to EBay, check out what you may be able to get for your 700. I did that with my 910 (plus some additional mounts that TomTom sent to try to fix problems...) and got enough to get a new 920 (and I got 2 maps under the map guarantee).

Hate to see you go - as a moderator and contributor - the new devices and maps would give you plenty to complain and write about.

Again - as I said in another post - it seems like something has happened recently (outsourced?) to TomTom support. it does not sound like anyone there in the last week or so really knows anything!!!

:eek:
Again - as I said in another post - it seems like something has happened recently (outsourced?) to TomTom support. it does not sound like anyone there in the last week or so really knows anything!!!

TomTom has outsourced their first level Customer Support to a company in Northern New York for the last 1 1/2 years. Their second level support is routed back to NA headquarters in Mass.

Nothing has changed to alter that. Sometimes, it's just a roll of the dice as to when a caller gets a really knowlegeable support person and when he/she doesn't. That's not much different than the Support centres for any company in any business. (yeah, I worked CS for 6 months for a software company :cool: )

And, as a 'roller of craps' more than once when dealing with Customer Support, I can understand it when the caller gets frustrated with half answers, no answers, wrong answers or simply gets blown off.:mad:

I have then been dealing with northern NY for some time - usually with OK results. But the last few weeks have been strange - and other posters seem to have run into it also.

Maybe they had some unusual turnover....

1 For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7398&Lid=4

I know my map version isn't a year old though?

Ask a Question