Attention tom tom users subscription service

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomTom Model(s)
2535M Live
Just received a email update at 5:30 PM that states the the year subscription update service has offically been put on hold. They said that alot of bugs have to be fixed before reliese. So now let the rumors fly

jUST RECEIVED ANOTHER UPDATE. Stating that it could be 3-4 months and even this is not instone untill corrections are made.

Last edited:
The so-called NA map subscription was supposed to be announced 6 weeks ago at CES then delayed, etc. etc.

Thanks for the update. We'll see what transpires.

I didn't get the notice that the proposal had been axed, but I did receive not one but TWO emails earlier touting the program. I've whined about that in detail in the other thread. :)

Did you also get the earlier emails with the sign-up links?

How do you two get these emails?

Did you have a support incident and the email's were a reply.
Your not beta testers are you?
Maybe there was a news form at TomTom that I didn't fill in that you guys found.

That's a good question -- I don't know why everyone seems to be getting different email. I don't remember all the places I may have checked a "send me stuff" box. I did check the "I wanna beta test" option (and I'm running TTHome Beta now), and I submit MapShare corrections like crazy. Maybe they have something in their system that sends different messages depending on those sort of parameters.

Sounds like a good idea in theory... but it's going to make customer support a pain. And I think it leads to situations like mine, where they tell me that a feature is available but it isn't. IMHO, they'd reduce their support load if they simplified things, and added a line saying "You're receiving this notification because you (did whatever)". Just add that to the list of things we'll do when we hold a bake sale and buy the company with the proceeds. :)

Got these email from my emalls to the tomtom..com . they actually returned an answer in less then one day. Why would anyone be a beta tester with tom toms record of corrupt and bad downloads. Why should I ruin my unit. I would rather wait for corrections. Most Beta testers in other corporations offer their Beta testers something for a fast report returned. In tom tom case they should offer beta tester a free map upgrade not nothing plus ruining you own tomtom.

When TT did put out a call for Beta testers about a year ago, those that got selected DID get a free map upgrade, as I remember.

I got that invite. All I got on was the Beta for the online routing app, which IMO does less than google maps. Never got a map upgarde, even when my unit came with a certificate. That said I wasn't qualified for it.

I'm running the latest beta version of HOME, so I don't know if anyone else will see this... but instead of showing my MapShare count, I have the following message:

Newer versions of your map are available.
Get them for as little as US$ 8.95 per quarter with our new
Map Update Service <-- clickable

I clicked and it says this:
Do you want to update your current map?
You currently have a map of United_States which is 1 quarters [sic] old. The sooner you get on board, the fewer releases you will miss. We can help you to upgrade to the latest map for only USD 8.95 and then ensure that you have every new map for the next 12 months.

The TomTom Map Update Service(tm) is a smart new way to have the most accurate and reliable map, always. It gives you every single release of your map over a fixed period, for the equivalent of just USD 8.95 per quarter. That's four new maps in a year!

This means the total cost for 12 months is USD 35.80. Buy the Map Update Service now or click 'Back' to go to the full list of maps.
The options are "Close" and "Yes, update my map" ("Back" is not available :) )

So, this is an offer for quarterly updates, but BILLED annually. I guess they couldn't quite figure out the quarterly billing thing. I like the idea, and I'm curious, so I check it out and click "Yes".

You end up with two entries in your Shopping Cart: "Upgrade to the Latest Map" for $8.95, AND "TomTom Map Update Service - 1 year - USA" for $35.80. Total of 44.75. WTF? "The TomTom Map Update Service requires you to start with the latest map on your device". Ok, it's not exactly a bait-and-switch, but the reality is that you have to pay for the first *5* quarters' updates up front.

I think I'll do it anyway, but not right now. I've got a lot of work to do, and besides, I haven't backed up my unit yet. It looks like I can get to it later by clicking that link, or by going to "Maps".

Oh, one more thing. De-selecting the 1-year update service removes both items. You can't get the latest map by itself for $8.95. It was worth a try, though! :)

Seems they are doing what they did in Britain last October when subscription series was introduced there. You had first to upgrade to the latest map and, depending how old your current map was, you got upto an 85% discount if your (then) current map was something like 1-3 months old and the discount off the normal price became less the older your existing map was.

Considering it was just a couple of weeks ago that a 1 time purchase of 825 was something like 110 US, it certainly is a good deal financially.

I'm curious how they plan to handle those users who updated to the latest map in the past couple of weeks, paying full price for the update.

Circle the wagons??

Perhaps, if a user does have 825, he/she will not get this offer until the next map is due out. Don't know..

Ok...DHN...I do have NA map 825.2157, and I was offered (for 11.95 per quater, $47.80 per year) quarterly updates. I went ahead and purchased this...and you are correct, there are no new updates at this moment, but was told onscreen that they will appear on the Home update screen when available. S

Ok, I'm taking the plunge. Partly because there's a new ad banner at the bottom of HOME, saying "Four new maps a year for as little as $9.95 a quarter". Seeing as how my current deal is $8.95 a quarter, I'd better strike while the iron is hot. Plus, I luv beta testing. :)

Now here's something bizarre:
Please enter numbers only in the House or Apartment Number field.
If your house or apartment number includes letters, please enter them in the House Number Extension field.
If you do not have a house number, you must provide a house name.
Someone explain to me how that's supposed to work with a PO Box? :) I used "0" for the House Number.

But I think it worked... unfortunately, in my excitement, I forgot to back up my unit first. So before I go to download the new map, I'm backing up. I'll report back in about 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question