Anyway to free up my ram???

I'm at 16 mb free out of 64mb....Is there a way I can free up for ram???

but, ram is -meant- to be used, not 'free'. :)

if it's 'free', it's not doing anything. so yes, you can 'free up' some ram by closing applications, but we're talking about a tomtom, right, and you don't want to kill off applications there. :)

I'm confused - 16 mb out of 64 mb on what? If you're talking about your TT630, it has 2GB of internal memory on board. If you want to increase the available memory, you can add an SD card. With Navcore 8.3 you can use SDHC cards up to 16GB and beyond.

I'm confused - 16 mb out of 64 mb on what? If you're talking about your TT630, it has 2GB of internal memory on board. If you want to increase the available memory, you can add an SD card. With Navcore 8.3 you can use SDHC cards up to 16GB and beyond.
I'm sure he means actual App/OS RAM - i.e. what you see on the detailed device status screen. Mine reads 64MB with 14.9 free. I suppose this is actual operating RAM whereas the 2GB memory you're referring to is more like virtual hard drive space.

As for freeing up some... I doubt you have much control over it. It's probably being used to keep track of things like configuration settings, favorites, whatever it thinks loading into RAM will speed up operations (rather than having to access everything form the internal memory (disk)).

-Frank

I'm at 16 mb free out of 64mb....Is there a way I can free up for ram???
Turn off Bluetooth and then reset to free some memory. (It appears to not get unloaded when you change the setting)

You can free more memory by switching to a non-TTS voice
This will free more memory and the change is right away and does not require the reset (Turn off then on)

Because the info screen displays Memory in MB and there is no Task Manager viewable on the TomTom I am not sure how many more bytes you can save by changing display settings such as POI icons, color scheme, Status Bar Preferences, etc., but none of them will be as noticeable as changing to a non-TTS voice and disabling Bluetooth.

It is also important to know that you will not see how much MB the TTS voice is using until it get loaded into memory by speaking.

I thought maybe by freeing up some of the OS/Ram it would make it a little faster...
The device will not get faster even if it uses 99% of the memory. It will only slow down if it needs more than the 100% available memory when swapping. Which is not the case.
With that amount of memory, you have plenty of free!

--pilsit

I hold from reliable sources that the amount of reported free ram is not dependable.

The main option that can slow down your TT is trying to show too many POI as it needs to check them all for their presence as you navigate. For this reason I only have radar traps enabled and only select the others as needed.

Ask a Question