Any consensus/recommendations about voices?

I have a 340 S and I a m one of those hard of hearing old guys. Today I think I used robotic female but I had it at 95% and lost some quality. Any suggestions? Thank You!

I have a 340 S and I a m one of those hard of hearing old guys. Today I think I used robotic female but I had it at 95% and lost some quality. Any suggestions? Thank You!
You'll do best to stick with a female voice. The additional sound at the higher pitch helps. That's why, traditionally, most cop shops still use female dispatchers.

That said, you're stuck with the 340S speaker. One of the reasons I selected a GO model way back when was so that I could pipe the audio through the car's sound system. Sadly, both TomTom and Garmin are further reducing the ease of doing this on current models by removing the 1/8" jacks and/or FM from their units. The GO630 is the last recent model available in the US to support the 1/8" line-out jack. The GO740 should have supported it, but they required an accessory that they don't sell in the US to do it, although they can be found with some looking.

I still don't understand the absence of that feature on 99% of the current models. It's inexpensive to add, and can make a HUGE difference in the audio, especially in a convertible or other noisier environment.

One option (although not something many users would consider) is to fit a audio output socket to the unit and pipe that through the stereo in the car, the older One devices were easy to fit a 2,5MM socket to the base (a 3,5MM/ 1/8" socket was too big) the newer TT Hardware simply isn't large enough to accomodate such a socket but a flying lead with a socket attached is viable - Not easy and involves opening the device and soldering a few connections including a load resistor but in use they work very well - Mike

You have received advise about mechanical improvements.

I found the English voice Jane to be the most clear and concise one.
Having switched to computer voices I now use the Irish voice Kate.

If your 340 S allows you through HOME to download those, go ahead and try them, they are free and can be switched/replaced any time, once in your device memory.

Female voices are ok for some folks with hearing loss, but not for all. At 81 years of age I have profound hearing loss, especially in the higher frequencies. The only computer voice TomTom recommends for U.S. is "Susan" and I can't understand a word she says! Fortunately, with help from the Super Moderators here, I was able to download and install a male computer voice that works just fine for me. If you can't find any computer voice that works for you, try downloading "Dave" from the TomTom website. Hope this will be helpful. I know what it's like to live with severe hearing loss. :(

Ask a Question