Cell Phone recommendations for GO 930

Okay so TomTom says the following phones from these carriers work:

AT&T/Cingular:
LG CU575, LG CE110*, Motorola RAZR V3, Motorola RAZR V3i, Motorola ROKR E1, Motorola L6, Motorola L2, Motorola RAZR V3xx, Motorola RAZR 2 v9, Motorola SLVR L7, Motorola MPx220, Motorola Q9H, Motorola ROKR E1, HTC TyTN, Nokia 3650, Nokia E61, Nokia E62, Nokia N75, Nokia 9300, Nokia 9300i, Nokia 7610, Nokia 6230, Nokia 6550, Nokia 6820, Nokia 6820i, Nokia 6131, Nokia 6681, Nokia 6103, Sony Ericsson W550i, Sony Ericsson Z520, Sony Ericsson Z525, Sony Ericsson Z530, Sony Ericsson s710a*, Apple iPhone*, Blackberry 8820*, Blackberry 8300 Curve*, Samsung SGH-A517, Samsung SGH-A707, Samsung SGH-A727, Samsung SGH-i607*, Siemens SX66*
T-Mobile:
Blackberry 8700g*, Blackberry 8100 Pearl*, Motorola PEBL U6, Motorola RAZR V3, Motorola RAZR V3i, Motorola RAZR V3t, Nokia 3650, Nokia 6600, Nokia 6131, Nokia 6103, Nokia 5300, Nokia 8800
Sprint/Nextel:
Motorola 1605*, Motorola i870*, Motorola i880*
Verizon: LG VX5400*, LG VX8350*, LG VX8500 (Chocolate)*, LG VX8700*, LG VX9900*, Motorola RAZR V3*, Samsung SCH-U700*, Samsung SCH-u470 Juke*

* Hands-free calling only. Access to TomTom PLUS Services not supported.

My preference for carrier is Sprint as my wife is on it.

I'd like to be able to actually use the TomTom's text feature off the new phone. I'm not gung ho on a Smart phone and for cell phones, a small phone with big buttons seems to make me happiest.

I need to get a new cell phone here, and figured I'd tap the resources here to see which phones/carriers would work well with my GO 930. Thanks...

EDIT - since 8/24 Tmo is no longer permitting bluetooth on any phone except their own Tmobile branded smartphones. So the option below no longer applies. See here.

My Nokia 6263 works great with my GO 720. Everything functions perfectly, except for SMS. I haven't seen anyone say they've been successful with Tomtom SMS in a long time.

It's a T-mobile 3G phone, but because it's technically not a smartphone Tmobile will sell you the $9.99 unlimited non-smartphone data plan for it.

It's a small flip phone with reasonably sized buttons.

-----

I love flip phones. If you're considering AT&T, you should check out the Razr2 V9, it's also 3G. The phone is on the official Tomtom compatibility list.

I have a Razr2 V8, and it's a great phone except it doesn't play well with Tomtom. Others on this forum have said the V9 compatibility is fine.

---

I haven't used any Sprint phones so I can't comment on any of them. Tomtom says that PLUS is not supported, but another member just figured out how to get it working on Sprint (see here). But if you go this route, bring your Tomtom into a Sprint store and test things yourself before purchasing.

Last edited:
After much frustration with calls dropping out or the device crashing I decided to get a dedicated Bluetooth handsfree kit for my car, its more reliable and puts the phone audio through the car speakers. Ok so I cannot use the SMS text feature, but I never got that to work with any of my phones, I always used PPC based phones up to getting the iFone - Mike

Got a BB Curve (Sprint) and all is well...

Except my 930 is still flaky (rebooting and crappy old 8.1 map). The BB actually has a pretty nice GPS function on it.

Your device should be more stable on the 8.010 application since you have an old map Extract this file with winrar onto your Tomtom, overwriting files when prompted.

Phone Compatibility

Hi All - just new to forum. I have a Tomtom 930. My phone is a HTC Touch - brilliant phone, however is only compatible as a hands free with the 930 (& I've been having problems with that recently - not connecting??) I did try a Nokia 6320i & it worked very well - including reading txt messages. However i don't want to be switching phones all the time. Anyone know of any touch screen, windows based phones which are compatible with most of the 930's features? Frank - Ireland

Hi All - just new to forum. I have a Tomtom 930. My phone is a HTC Touch - brilliant phone, however is only compatible as a hands free with the 930 (& I've been having problems with that recently - not connecting??) I did try a Nokia 6320i & it worked very well - including reading txt messages. However i don't want to be switching phones all the time. Anyone know of any touch screen, windows based phones which are compatible with most of the 930's features? Frank - Ireland

Try the steps in this post to get the Touch working with your Tomtom.

Last edited:

Ask a Question