Another happy TomTom trip

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
Memorial Day weekend, we went to Lime Rock Park in Connecticut for the Grand AM GT racing weekend.

The funny thing was, I plotted the course a couple days before the weekend using my ONE. It routed me down the NYS Thruway to exit 21-A, onto the Berkshire Spur, exit at B-3 and take Rt. 22 south.

The morning that we left, I plotted the course again, not paying any attention, assuming it would be the same. This time TomTom told me to exit the Thruway at Exit 24 and take I-90 (freebie 90). Since it was very early morning and there'd be no traffic through Albany I decided to follow the instructions. Either way, you wind up back on the Berkshire Spur. TomTom had me exit at B-3 but take a different route than Rt. 22 south.

I'm at a loss why it plotted two different routes from and to the same addresses but I followed the intructions, travelling some pleasant 2-lane country roads and arrived at Lime Rock Park by 8 AM.

We had made reservations at a motel in Newburgh, NY since we were doing some sight-seeing in the Hudson Valley. When we left the racetrack, I used my ONE to guide me to the motel. It got us there with no problem, but it was weird when we got there. We had turned onto 17-K. I could SEE the motel, but TomTom told me to go 1/4 mile, then turn around. Perhaps it thought there were no left turns on that road (and maybe there weren't), but I just made a left and pulled in. Does TomTom know, traffic regulations, one-way streets, etc?

The next morning we drove up Rt. 9 to Hyde Park and visited FDR's home and Vanderbilt Mansion. From there I used TomTom to guide me home.

I love travelling with a GPS, it makes things so much easier. Don't know how I lived without it.

Jim

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that my ONE fell off the windshield twice on this trip. It had never done that before. I suspect it was the termperature change from sticking it on a hot windshield, then running the a/c and cooling things down.

Jim

Jim, I know what you mean when you say you don't know how you lived without GPS. We did a car show and drive-in movie out in the country this weekend and it was comforting having a device that helped to make dark road travel easier and safer.

I've also had slip-off issues with the suction cup. For now, I keep my device nested in a beanbag on my center console. Reception/signal has not been an issue (one benefit, I guess, of having a glass top).

The Grand Am GT weekend sounded like lots of fun!

Jim, I know what you mean when you say you don't know how you lived without GPS. We did a car show and drive-in movie out in the country this weekend and it was comforting having a device that helped to make dark road travel easier and safer.

I've also had slip-off issues with the suction cup. For now, I keep my device nested in a beanbag on my center console. Reception/signal has not been an issue (one benefit, I guess, of having a glass top).

The Grand Am GT weekend sounded like lots of fun!

Vettecaster,

That is a great idea, do you have any issues with heat on the bean bag?

Ask a Question