Altitude

Yes tripmaster see:
dump956072756.jpg

It appears that this feature will work on a Rider2, but wow, I am rather confused (and worried about fudging my unit) about the install. All I would really like is the altitude function, is this possible?

Cheers

Last edited:
There is no built in TT feature for Altitude. There are a few 3rd party programs to use. They work with Firmware 7.

I have not found altitude to be stable, but it is fun for information. Don't try to fly with it. :eek:

I have the 7.54 application with a 715 map. Where would I be able to download just the altitude feature?...and is there any risk to installing it.

cheers

seriously you can install tripmaster. back up your TT before you start, but the instructions are excellent and I have had no issues. If a statistician can do it you can too (even on a mac).:D

Just curious rcacs, but why do you want to know the altitude in Manitoba? There isn't a hill for 500 miles in any direction!:D

Good point...lol

I do alot of long distance motorbike travel (130,000km in the last 3 summers) and just like to know these things....no real good reason I guess.

cheers!

I wish that TT could get the altitude into their firmware. I know someone who has a Navigon model and they do have an altitude reading with out third party firmware.

I wish that TT could get the altitude into their firmware. I know someone who has a Navigon model and they do have an altitude reading with out third party firmware.
I have a strong feeling that it's coming soon..... ;)

Don't hold your breath!

Sorry, but I have a strong feeling that it is not.

After all, it is simply not required in a car navigation device. The need-to-know part of altitude in relation to car travel is already known; height above the road. It doesn't change.

Besides, elevation readings from this sort of GPS are next to useless anyway. The level of accuracy in z-level is far below that of horizontal positioning. GPS was simply not designed to give altitude measurements.

no kidding. altitude readings vary wildly. some days my driveway is 20 meters below sea level, other days I'm high and dry. altitude readings on a tomtom are useless.

GPS signals allow for calculation of position, x,y & z...Elevation is available.

True, my pal has the feature on his G@rmin Zumo. It would seem to be fairly accurate. It of course does not have a barometer in it to actually measure altitude, it uses information already available in accordance with position.

It isnt important at all really, I just kinda like to know for no other reason than curiosity (I am a pilot).

Cheers!

After all, it is simply not required in a car navigation device.
That's right, it's not required. That also is true for browsing photos, playing mp3, reading documents, handsfree and much more. If TomTom should remove all that's not required, they have to remove a lot.

Besides, elevation readings from this sort of GPS are next to useless anyway.
Absolutely wrong! I have been logging trips with Tripmaster for the last 3 years. I have been logging more than 30,000miles, and the altitude readings are very good. It's normally less than +-10 meters. That's good enough for me. I know the exact altitude at home, and TomTom always is correct within a few meters. Very good!

Ask a Question