Advanced Lane Guidance does NOT work in Canada!

just got a GO730 over the boxing week sale (199.99) this year and was impressed that they've finally brought over GPS's with lane guidance into Canada... we deeply rely on GPS systems in japan and was expecting that finally, i could drive around without getting lost.

then i tried to use it, and it didn't work.
went on tomtom.com support and was told that this advanced lane guidance does not work in Canada!
oh my god...

i just thought i'd tell everyone planning to buy one or naively thinking it must be user error why such a basic feature (at least i think so...) doesn't work...

Answer

In fact, there are (with the latest 840 map and application 8.351) a few locations where ALG is evident in Canada. The 835 map showed about 4 locations in the Maritimes. The 840 map has about half a dozen new ones on a highway (403) outside of Toronto. There may be more in the 840 map, I just am not aware of them........

So they are appearing, albeit very slowly; hopefully, the 845 map due in February will include many more locations.

ALG in Canada

Wrote Tom TOM support about this as I just purchased the XXL 540S under the premise it had ALG and was told that there are no plans to provide ALG in the future. Navigon (which actually does not sell their models in North America - except for the iPhone application) already has it deployed in Canada.
Very disappointing! not to mention false to publicize such feature in Canada when it is not supported.

The fact that are a few (very few) examples of ALG in Canada means that they are beginning to support that functionality here. Hopefully (he said) the 845 map next month will show a vast improvement in that area.

I see a couple in my area here in nova scotia. they're located at exits where a blind man couldn't get lost, so other than neat to see that graphic pop up, so far useless. LOL

Somewhere here I posted the information about 4 exits in the Maritimes, the ones you mention may have been two of them.

Yes, I recall your post and have not seen those you mentioned. Another poster mentioned some new ones in Cape Breton. The ones I see are in the New Glasgow area. Difficult to know how many there are as they don't show unless you are actually taking the exit.

I think that at the very least, Tomtom should of put a sticker on the box indicating the features NOT available in Canada. It's very misleading.

Ask a Question