Adhesive Disc

I just bought my second TomTom device - First I had a TomTom One v4 , and just recently buying a new car, I decided to get a new TomTom and went with the XLS.

In the box was an Adhesive Disc and I went to TomTom's site to be sure what it was for, and it was described as for the Dash Board, and easily removed leaving no residue behind... important to me because I just bought a brand new car.

Now Ive read on this forum, here and there about problems removing it.... do they become permanently stuck to dash boards ? If so, how are they removed safely, I could put it on my window, but I just dont want to anymore and I like it on the Dash, but not at the risk of car damage, its only been a few days... is this disc really going to cause damage to my car?

If you're concerned about possibly messing up your dashboard, I wouldn't use the adhesive disk. Even if you can get it off, I'm pretty sure you'll see a mark or stain left behind.

See if one of these mounts might work:

http://www.semsons.com/tomtommount.html

I got one of these and it works great!

Last edited:
Heat from a hair drier is usually effective in getting stick-on things softened up to remove. Great for bumper stickers and windshield stickers, and it should work on this also - just don't overheat it if the dash is plastic.

If you're concerned about possibly messing up your dashboard, I wouldn't use the adhesive disk. Even if you can get it off, I'm pretty sure you'll see a mark or stain left behind.

See if one of these mounts might work:

http://www.semsons.com/tomtommount.html

I got one of these and it works great!
Thanks for this link! I have two of these en route this week! :cool:

And none too soon:
The mount that came with my ONE 3rd was bad enough, but this GO 720 mount is abysmal! No concavity what-so-evar!. No suction without much aqueous assistance. Add to that the weight of the unit & it can barely travel four blocks, without dropping to the floor.

Thanks TomTom for single-handedly shoring-up the entire third-party mounting solutions industry! :D

Like GAW said, using a blow dryer should make the disc pop right off.

And, of course, never ever apply it to your windshield! It's intended for the dashboard only!

relieved yet annoyed

As my 720 has been falling off the dash for the last 2 months, I'm relieved to see it's not just my unit. Annoyed though that it's happening. Have tried new disks and "official" now holders to no avail.

Which specific third-party unit did you order that worked on the dash? I find the options confusing.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for this link! I have two of these en route this week! :cool:

And none too soon:
The mount that came with my ONE 3rd was bad enough, but this GO 720 mount is abysmal! No concavity what-so-evar!. No suction without much aqueous assistance. Add to that the weight of the unit & it can barely travel four blocks, without dropping to the floor.

Thanks TomTom for single-handedly shoring-up the entire third-party mounting solutions industry! :D

I saw an 'open' beanbag mount on the TomTom site that will allow you to use the stock suction mount. I had used donut beanbag mount with a 910, but the x20 series suction mount does not clear it.

Rather then the TomTom online store, if you Google it - it came up a month ago at around $20 elsewhere. You may not like the look of it in your car, but it works good. It is hard and flat, and should work if you mount the stock mount firmly.

Note - both surfaces need to be real clean.

I have a gps sandbag I picked up at Fry's (unbranded) with a flat surface in the center. Works fantastic with my Arkon suction cup mount. Never had to worry about the cleanliness of the mount service; flip the clip down and it locks *very* firmly. The thing doesn't move at all, even with my lead foot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question