$99 for new map version? Are they joking?

I have no idea how much a used GO 700 is on ebay, but I bet I could get $200 for mine. And if I add $200 to that I could get a new Go 910, which is just $100 more than a new version of the NA map would cost me. TT had no choice but to upgrade their maps to stay competitive, so why stick it too your existing customers? I cannot image anyone paying $99 for a new map version. but I might pop for $49. Guess I'll just wait for a good deal on the next generation hardware. $99 is a lose-lose for TT and me.

I have no idea how much a used GO 700 is on ebay, but I bet I could get $200 for mine. And if I add $200 to that I could get a new Go 910, which is just $100 more than a new version of the NA map would cost me.
But if you buy a new GO910, it does not come with the latest map:confused: So you still have to upgrade and pay for that to get the latest!

It's been a lot of debate about this in European TT-forums and lots of angry people. There GO910 is sold with V6.50 maps while the latest is V6.75. It is even against Norwegian law to charge for upgrade when it is sold with old maps, but TomTom does not care. They just follow "TomTom-law". There are several people who have returned their TomToms because of this stupid policy!:mad:

From what I hear, Garmin map upgrades are more expensive.

Doesn't surprise me. What they want us to do is buy a new Garmin or TT. Thing is, the hardware really isn't improving that much between new models (the last thing I need is an MP3 player in my GPS, or my cell phone calling my GPS), so I guess I won't be buying revisions to maps or a new GPS for awhile. What I could use is a bigger, much brighter and thinner screen that would fold up (or even roll up) out of the way under the headliner when not in use, or maybe built-in CDMA to get real-time traffic information directly, although all the traffic is jammed anyway.

I certainly understand the dilemna. It seems most common that companies get glitzed by the quick dollar and fail to undertand the implications of a long term and loyal customer base. Maybe the map issue will get a review. .....but don't hold your breath waiting.

Hmmm... are you an european or american customer?

American 910's do come with the latest maps as I understand. Now, if you bought your unit from a Radio Shack, they may have units in stock from last year previous to the release... and still, units like the GO 910, 510 and ONE have the maps for free... in the case of the 300 and 700 units, there was a promotion until March or April this year, so it seems you missed it by a little. They escalated the price after 3 months, maintain a $ 99 charge until June 15th, and will go on and on until the normal price is reached ($150 I think).

hmm...

Hmmm... are you an european or american customer?
American 910's do come with the latest maps as I understand.

I live in Europe, but I know what TT do in North America. I have friends who have bought a GO910 with V6.50 maps. They contacted TT asking for an update, but the answer was NO!

And as I have said several times, GO910 sells in North America now with V6.65 (if it is not an old stock). They say it's the latest map, but it's not. V6.75 is the latest!

910 maps upgrade

well i just bought a 910 and,both north america and europe maps are NOT the latest.TomTom support told me that the North America map woul be upgraded for frre till the 15 of june,......BUT not the Europe Map,for that I'd have to pay Big Bucks.
I asked her if she tough it was fair that i 'd have to buy the latest map ,after purchasing a new 910,and she just kept on reading from the script.,yes ..blah blah,, you have to pay .

Very poor attitude IMHO.

From what I hear, the new maps for Europe aren't great.
Where did you hear that:confused: Are you talking about V6.75 Western & Central Europe and not Western Europe? Western Europe is a stripped down version of Western & Central Europe and it is not very good!
I have used Western & Central Europe V6.75 on my GO910 for a while now, and I have found more than 20 correction just in and around my city. That's good! :) I will never go back!

Ask a Question