950 v 940 v 750 v 740 ??

GGW

My wife wants to give me a new GPS for Christmas (I think more to stop hearing me complain about TT Nav 6 on my phone than anything though :) Considering the 4 above. Use is about 70% traveling to EU, 30% US.

1 - Is there a comparison chart of features anywhere? The one's on the various TT sites are all out of date. I'm finding it really difficult and frustrating to compare versions of TT products.

2 - Are there set differences in all of the 9xx and 7xx products? EG, 9 includes all maps, 7 only local continent? Seems that sometimes 9 also includes btooth and 7 sometimes not.

3 - What would you recommend? Mike has mentioned that the 950 doesn't have MP3. This would be very nice to have but not critical. Based on research here and elsewhere I'm leaning towards a 940 per Mike's recommendation. 940's are fetching premium prices of about $120 more than 950's though so that sends me back to a 950 and live without MP3.

4 - I'm assuming that traffic will only work for the continent I buy it in (eg, I'd likely get a 9xx in UK so I assume traffic will only work in UK & EU)? Other live services work everywhere?

Thanks all!

Mike Alder is pretty astute when it comes to the strengths/weanesses of various TomTom models. Indeed, Mike does not think much of the 950 and the compromises one must make with that model.

This link should provide you with a decent comparison chart of models sold in the UK.

And this for US models.

You should have a basis of comparison.

Last edited:
Thanks dhn. Unfortunately neither of these really gives any kind of detailed comparison like every other GPS mfr (and just about every electronics mfr in the world provides). I've generally really liked TT's interface but I'm getting a really bad taste about the company. Their product plan is very confusing with what is available in what countries and products appearing and disappearing and then no way to easily compare their products and support for map updates discontinued, sometimes while products are still being sold (eg, Nav 6 mobile) It's really too bad. A very good product ruined by extremely poor marketing and business practices.

Thanks though.

If the mp3 player is important and you want Live services with maps for both Europe and North America get a 940 while they are still available.

If you can do without the mp3 player but still want the Live services consider the XL IQ Live Western_Europe device and purchase a North American map for it, you would have to swap the maps over by connection to the PC each time you hop across the "pond" but I consider the XL IQ Live a better product than the 950.

Otherwise the 930 offers you mp3 player, Maps for both regions and is still a very credible performer but it doesn't have Live services, that said I am not too sure Live services will really offer you value for money, lets face it you have to keep the subscription valid paying each month for a service you will only be able to use while in Europe (assuming you purchase a European device). If you go for the 930 you can purchase over in the USA and some real bargain prices can be found for this device, IIRC one of the other mods on here (mvl) has just bought one - Mike

The 9xx series have Europe + North America maps with 4GB of builtin memory. The 7xx only has maps of the side of the pond it was purchased on, with 2gb of memory. The 9xx series have EPT, 7xx don't.

Traffic-wise, the GPRS PLUS traffic subscription on the x30 used to work globally, but you need a cell phone and have to worry about your cell roaming charges. They don't say it works globally any more, but it probably still does and Tomtom just kept that fact "hidden" on the website so it doesn't look superior to LIVE services.

Tomtom's LIVE traffic is available on the x40/x50. The x50 has a more integrated interface, but offers the same traffic data as the x40. It is a much higher quality of traffic than the GPRS traffic, but it is twice the cost and only roams on the side of the pond it was purchased in. When you cross the pond you get nothing.

The x30/x40 can also use the traffic antenna. The antenna's are lower quality than the PLUS/GPRS service, and also only work on the side of the pond they are purchased on. The US antenna only is good for a year, the Europe one is lifetime.

Otherwise, MP3 players and FM transmitters are in the 730, 930, and 940. Remote is in the 930 only.

The gap between PLUS traffic and LIVE traffic isn't as big in the US as it is in the UK, so when I was given the choice of buying a used 930 or a used 740, I chose the 930 for the added non-traffic features.

I'm not surprised the 940 costs more than a 950. The 950 is inferior hardware to the 940. It's basically a 740 with more maps and newer software.

Last edited:

Ask a Question