930 and RDS-TMC Traffic

Does anyone know if there are different models of the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver.... I see one at Circuit City for $99 and one at Best buy for $119. They have different model numbers. Circuit City is 9V00180 and Best Buy is 9V00.080. I went to TomTom's website to see if they have a model number for the Go930, but can't find anything on the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for the Go930.

Also, if we're using the FM Transmitter for the MP3 player (playing it through an FM radio station on the car stereo, can we still use the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver. Seems to me that you could only use one station....either for the MP3 player or for the Traffic Receiver. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

I can't answer your question on using two receivers (I would check the specifications and product reviews closely), but as to the RDS-TMC Traffic receivers - they are essentially the same - get the cheaper one - it is only a function of retail pricing.

However, if you already have a cell phone with data services that would work with your TomTom, I would consider doing that instead. The receiver only comes with one year's service, and then you have to renew just like the bluetooth data service. TomTom's receiver coverage in the US is spotty, while the bluetooth/data service is good anywhere your mobile data services work.

If you have to add data just for traffic, then it is not worth it - especially if you have one of the more expensive services like Verizon.

I bought the receiver from TomTom after going to circuit city, (Best Buy didn't have any in store). The circuit city one was a usb connection and worked with the TomTom One models but did not list the GO's although the website says it does if I'm not mistaken. The one from TomTom site was for the 910. I see now that there is a new one for the Go that is a usb connection that connects to the power cord so you can use both simulaneously. It doesn't look like the same one I saw at circuit city.

With respects to the use of MP3 player and traffic, it depends if your using an external mp3 player ( thru ipod cable) or the built in one. If your using the cable then it connects to the same jack as the traffic antennae. I have to choose between my ipod connection or the traffic receiver. The fm transmitter doesn't play a part in this. The traffic receiver is kind of passive and only comes into play when an accident or slow traffic is detected on your route. Then TomTom makes and announcement and will advise that your route has been recalculated. (this is a setting you can turn off or on). The fm transmitter is internal and if you are using it it will just make the traffic announcements through the radio. (it pauses the music that is playing by the way).

I don't know about the new usb connection availabe on the website. I would have preferred this so that I could use both the ipod cable and the traffic receiver. I just bought my cable last month (before the new one became available), so I can't justify paying another $100 bucks just so I can use my ipod.

Hope this helps.

Certainly is confusing to me :) We don't have a cellphone with Bluetooth or data services, so would have to use the RDS-TMC receiver.

I called TomTom this morning to get clarification. She said the receiver is a totally separate receiver than the one in the unit, so we CAN use both the internal MP3 player and play it through the car speakers/stereo and the traffic receiver at the same time. So that's good news.

She directed me to the website for which receiver the 930 uses. It is not under accessories for the 930. It is under general accessories and then it shows that one of the units that can use it is the 930. I asked her for a model number and she said there is none. But, as Jdmguam mentioned, it is a USB RDS-TMC receiver. It is $99 at TomTom with $6 shipping.

I may get one and try it out and let ya know how it works.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ask a Question