Go 930 and an RDS-TMC reciever

Hello,

I have a TomTom Go 930 and was interested in getting an RDS-TMC receiver. I've noticed that there appears to be 2 different versions that TomTom makes. One version seems to have the receiver integrated with the USB charger and another that uses a mini-stereo type jack.

A friend of mine just purchased a TomTom XXL540TM WTE and he let me try out his antenna (the integrated usb one) on my Go 930. My 930 was able to detect the RDS-TMC receiver however when I clicked on the traffic bar I got an error message that said "The Version of maps you have is not compatible with this RDS-TMC receiver" The Maps I have loaded on my 930 are the North America 835.2419.

So what I'm wondering if the reason I'm getting this message is because I'm using the USB receiver as opposed to the other one. What I find odd though is that when I switched over to the Europe maps, the receiver seemed to be working because I got the green circle indicating that the signal was coming in.

Can anyone maybe tell me if maybe I need to be using the other type of receiver and if so does anyone have a model number, and know if there's anything else I need to do.

I live in Canada and can't seem to find any information on the TomTom site under accessories.

Thanks
Vager

Although the (built-in) traffic antenna on the 540 models is also of a rds-tmc type, it is not compatible with any of the Go models, such as yours, with Navcore applications 8.351 (the highest for your model).

Further, the 540 combo charger-antenna works in both North America and Europe.

You are looking for the rds-tmc antenna (the newer model is of the usb type). It is separate from the car charger and the North American model does NOT work in Europe.

So, in summary, you get the same traffic information (it is not LIVE) such as it is that you would with the 540's but different hardware.

Finally, there is only traffic coverage in Canada for 4 cities: Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and, I think, Vancouver.

Ask a Question