930 Advanced Lane Guidance

Nothing on Long Island, NY so far...of course, I haven't gone into NY City with my 930 yet, but that is another issue.

Haha... I imagine it's going to be close to impossible to get anything to work in the mixing bowl. Too much going on.

That being said, I'm confident advanced lane guidance will prove its worth in the 730s and 930s - especially in the Northern VA/DC area.

720s and 920s too, mister!!! :mad:

I just got a call from my boss and it seems that I'll be flying out to Houston, TX for 3 days on Wednesday. Hope my TomTom won't get me lost.
Do what I always do even if I don't have an exact address.
Open Google maps and get your bearing of the land.

Now, make new POI category and individual POIs for that trip.
If you get a rental car and know the company, go on their web page
to find out where to drop off the car.
Any addresses or location you are aware of, enter them as POIs.
Not having to enter a location while others sit in the car and say "let's go. let's go" is worth
the little advance effort. Will also show you in the light of a businesslike person with foresight.

Open the POIs with Tyre and edit them. Put a name or street number in front
so you will find them fast, as the list is kept by TT according to distance from current location.
Enjoy.

alg works on my 720 in boston area, and in NH on hwy 101, haven't used it anywhere else

i just wish it would show earlier like 1-2miles out instead of .5

I am here in Albany, NY and ALG did not work on the Throughway WB or the Northway SB.
I am not just saying the overhead sign don't show. There are no lane arrows shown in the LH bottom of the screen.
930; 8.3; 815.2019;
Anyone got it to work in the State Capital area ?

Answering my own post, last night going to Schnectady and going on I-890 the lane arroes displayed.

Still wondering if anyone with a 930 and 815 map has the overhead signs shown.

Last edited:
I recently sent a message to TomTom support about this issue, ALG not showing up on Toronto highways. They didn't mention anything about new ALG support for Toronto added to upcoming maps, they responded thusly:

At this time, advance lane guidance does not work everywhere even if the highway is a major highway. We are working on getting the coverage as best as we can, please bare with us.

Emphasis mine. I tried driving the QEW while naked, but "bareing" with them didn't help activate ALG! ;)

Last edited:
That's cuz they meant the 400 series of highways, silly! :eek: :D

Seriously, it is a shame that ALG and Reality view is not in either 8.10 or 8.15 NA maps for Canada.

Seriously, it is a shame that ALG and Reality view is not in either 8.10 or 8.15 NA maps for Canada.

It was really soon after the release of 8.10 that 8.15 appeared.

What do you think the chances of the next maps being released before the new year?

I was on the FL turnpike today and I got a ALG on my 920.

ALG works great in FL. I get it pretty much everywhere. I still have to get used to that damn screen popping up. I get the static image when I don't expect it and go crazy for a split second since when I look up at the TomTom, I'm expecting to see the map/road instead. I am constantly looking at the colored "line" that shows the path I will be taking. ALG has saved me a few times though, especially in crazy rush hour when traffic is moving fast but very packed. You also must constantly watch out/avoid those "asshole drivers" who think they own the road.

New maps tend to come out just after the end of January(since Tomtom tends to put up map sales in January). I believe that if you buy a map that you are guaranteed to get all maps for a full year as well, so buying in January SHOULD give you all the map updates. I could be wrong about that of course, but I remember reading something to that extent.

New maps tend to come out just after the end of January(since Tomtom tends to put up map sales in January). I believe that if you buy a map that you are guaranteed to get all maps for a full year as well, so buying in January SHOULD give you all the map updates. I could be wrong about that of course, but I remember reading something to that extent.
Also, I heard somewhere else that the maps in 2009 will be the first to show mapshare corrections

I believe current maps do have ms corrections reported since the prior map release .... just not all of them or enough of them in many areas. :eek:

Ask a Question