920T In Canada

Is there any point in buying one in Canada to be used in Canada? I can't find any info on tomtom.com about traffic service future in Canada.

Is there any point in buying one in Canada to be used in Canada? I can't find any info on tomtom.com about traffic service future in Canada.

Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are the only Canadian cities covered, I believe.

You are confusing the issue.

TT offers 2 ways to get traffic. One is a PLUS service that uses a compatible GPRS phone to download traffic data. Works with just a 920...just needs a subscription and activation. You get a free 3 month trial with TT.

Method 2 is the one that requires an RDS-TMC antenna (as supplied with the 920T or you can buy the antenna optionally with a 920 later on). This is also a subscription service, but you get the fiirst year free with either antenna option. RDS-TMC traffic service is NOT a TT service, but a 3rd party arranged thru TT and used by other manaufacturers as well. ClearChannel is one such supplier in the US.

Please realize that the ONLY difference between the 920 and 920T is the supplied antenna (receiver) in the box, that is all.

If you are uncertain and have a compatible phone, perhaps you may want to buy the plain 920 and try the TT Traffic Plus service for free during the trial period. You can always buy an antenna later on for US$130 if you so decide after getting local feedback from other users. Buying the plain 920 you have the singular choice of NOT getting any traffic serrvice whatsoever, if you decide it is not worth it for where you live.

So do both methods get their data from the same service? How does the TT get the data from the cell phone?

So do both methods get their data from the same service? How does the TT get the data from the cell phone?

RDS-TMC is a subset of the TT service. TT apparently has other sources as well. I dont think it is MUCH better, however.

Ask a Question