920 Shutting Down -- Bug

I have just purchased a 920. It's been running fine... until now. Suddenly, the unit will start to shut down after it's been on for 3 minutes or so, even if it's in the middle of a navigation. A screen comes on and counts down the seconds, and then it shuts off.

I've checked all my preferences, and there is nothing which calls for the unit to shut down.

I have also noticed that it seems to do this when connected to power, either the cradle or cigarette lighter inlet.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, and if there is some hidden pref I could be missing???

Last edited:
I have just purchased a 920. It's been running fine... until now. Suddenly, the unit will start to shut down after it's been on for 3 minutes or so, even if it's in the middle of a navigation. A screen comes on and counts down the seconds, and then it shuts off.

I've checked all my preferences, and there is nothing which calls for the unit to shut down.

I have also noticed that it seems to do this when connected to power, either the cradle or cigarette lighter inlet.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, and if there is some hidden pref I could be missing???

Wow... this seems to be a vast problem across the internet with many users of the 720 and 920. No word from TomTom on a fix??

According to Tech Support, they are blaming this on bad car chargers and docks. This is the second 920 I've tried.

Sounds like TomTom has some serious issues here.

Any other 920 users having this problem after updating to the most recent TomTom software?

It seems to me this problem began after the update, if I remember correctly. Flashing the device, resetting, etc. etc. makes no difference.

Ask a Question