920 Map Gurantee does not show 7.20

TomTom Model(s)
GO920
The GO920 we purchased last month will not upgrade the map to 7.2, it has 710.1576 and the firmware is 8.010.

I select the use map guarantee option in TomTom Home 2.3.1.92 and it states the TomTom unit has the latest map. However in the menu to purchase maps it offers me map version 7.20 for about $79.00 ( don't remember the price)

I tried sent email request to TomTom but thought there might be something here on the forums to explain how to fix this problem.
I did a quick search but did not find the answer, does anyone knows how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

joe

The GO920 we purchased last month will not upgrade the map to 7.2, it has 710.1576 and the firmware is 8.010.

I select the use map guarantee option in TomTom Home 2.3.1.92 and it states the TomTom unit has the latest map. However in the menu to purchase maps it offers me map version 7.20 for about $79.00 ( don't remember the price)

I tried sent email request to TomTom but thought there might be something here on the forums to explain how to fix this problem.
I did a quick search but did not find the answer, does anyone knows how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

joe

If you bought the unit more than 30 days ago and used TTHome then, unfortunately you are outside the 30 day window for the Latest Map Guarantee. If you are within the 30 day window and can prove it (TomTom will ask for a scan, fax or photo of your sales invoice), then call TomTom support and they'll arrange for you to download it for free.

On the other hand, if you want to BUY the 7.20 map, then simply use Home and use the Add Maps/Voices icon.

One year means any new maps in that time span. More than likely, that'll mean being offered version 8 maps as well.

Thanks, that doesn't work either, says my code is invalid. It's a bit frustrating. I guess I missed out both ways if they go by the date it was purchased on line for the map guarantee and the code that was included is not valid either...

joe

Thanks, that doesn't work either, says my code is invalid. It's a bit frustrating. I guess I missed out both ways if they go by the date it was purchased on line for the map guarantee and the code that was included is not valid either...

joe

Do not despair!! :eek: :eek:

For the last few software updates to Home, that 'invalid code' doesn't work for anybody!

What you may need to do is contact TT Support by phone with the code on your 1 year guarantee. You may also need to provide a scan, fax or photo of your sales slip to prove it's within 1-year.

Thanks again, I added a copy of my email receipt that Costco sent me to my question submitted to support to see if they can activate it for me. If not, I will try to call them.

Thanks again, I added a copy of my email receipt that Costco sent me to my question submitted to support to see if they can activate it for me. If not, I will try to call them.

you will have to call them and fax them the receipt and the 1yr. the 1yr was a miss print but they will honor it. :)

it took a while and I got a little angry but in the end all is well, I now have the new North America & Western and Central Europe maps. It was all done via the online support. At first it didn't look too promising but in the end all I needed to do was scan my receipt and attached it as a jpg file - they don't accept cut and paste receipts, you need to scan it or fax it. I also included the tracking report showing it was delivered to my door May 28 and packing lists etc. They no longer use the promotion code and the "Latest Map Guarantee" never worked, the customer service representative just added it to my downloads, so it showed up soon after the program was started. I did have some problems because the way the program worked it needed more room than I had on my Virtualbox virtual hard drive so I had to create a bigger one and clone the smaller one - but in the end all seems well.

This is just a thought, but if you're outside of your 30 days and you don't want to deal with tomtom support, go return your tomtom to costco and get your money back. I understand that they have a very liberal return policy. Then go and buy a new tomtom with the refunded money. You won't be out anything financially but you'll have a newly dated receipt to provide proof that you're within the 30 days in the map guarantee in HOME fails to allow the download. All you'll need to do is update the device ID in your HOME profile (which is simple enough to do...ask if you need help).

This is just a thought, but if you're outside of your 30 days and you don't want to deal with tomtom support, go return your tomtom to costco and get your money back. I understand that they have a very liberal return policy. Then go and buy a new tomtom with the refunded money. You won't be out anything financially but you'll have a newly dated receipt to provide proof that you're within the 30 days in the map guarantee in HOME fails to allow the download. All you'll need to do is update the device ID in your HOME profile (which is simple enough to do...ask if you need help).

I thought about it... As I was looking at the packing list I saw the notice from Costco about "Satisfaction Guaranteed" even though I never previously returned anything to Costco.

On the 3rd web based email exchange with TomTom customer support, when I sent the jpegs of several documents, ( packing list , receipt,tracking report showing it was actually delivered) I told them I reached the end and if they don't fix the problem now, I would take the unit back to Costco and get a Garmin.

I received a reply very quickly that my upgraded maps were in my download directory - all is well now. I wasn't excited about switching to a Garmin but would have done it. The TomTom reminds me more of the original series 1 Tivo where you could easily access them and change them with 3rd party software etc. - that is my favorite benefit of having a TomTom.

on edit:

To be fair to the TomTom support person, the last request he wrote to me he stated he could not accept a "copy and paste receipt", it had to be a fax, or scanned image ether faxed or attached to the web based support request.It really was not difficult to scan them and save them in Gimp as a jpeg.

Last edited:
it took a while and I got a little angry but in the end all is well, I now have the new North America & Western and Central Europe maps. It was all done via the online support. At first it didn't look too promising but in the end all I needed to do was scan my receipt and attached it as a jpg file - they don't accept cut and paste receipts, you need to scan it or fax it. I also included the tracking report showing it was delivered to my door May 28 and packing lists etc. They no longer use the promotion code and the "Latest Map Guarantee" never worked, the customer service representative just added it to my downloads, so it showed up soon after the program was started. I did have some problems because the way the program worked it needed more room than I had on my Virtualbox virtual hard drive so I had to create a bigger one and clone the smaller one - but in the end all seems well.

If it's the promotion code that says it entitles you to 1 year of free maps, keep the certificate! You'll want that when it's time for your next upgrade. :) Similar procedure; you scan it into the online system along with your dated receipt, and they turn on your next map update. I think you have to keep referring back to the support incident to get subsequent maps though.

Ask a Question