910 Not charging

HI guys

hope someone can help me here I have a Go 910, which is not charging. The Green charging light is on, but it does not charge either on the USB cradle or the car cradle. My questions therefore are this:

1) Is there a way to check if its the battery or the device?

I ask because i suspect that the problem lies with connection to the charging unit, as it has just started not charging and when its in the car and i hit a bumpy road it dislodges the unit and it switches its self off, again it's just started doing this.

I suspect it could well be the black quick release clip which holds it in place, as on closer inspection one of the lugs sticking out appears to be smaller/worn.

2) This being the case is it possible to buy parts from Tom Tom?

I ask as replacement of the said clip is really straight forward, apart from being spring loaded, which is meant to apply pressure to keep the unit in place and i suspect keep contact between the unit and the cradle to ensure charging and contact with external mic etc.

Many Thanks:)

One of our supermods, Mikealder, is UK based and has (had?) a 910 model. I seem to remember his posting that there were issues with some 910s being bounced arrounced in their mounts and disconnecting.

Check back into this thread over the next 24 hours to see if he posts here for a solution. I'll draw this thread to his attention.

It could be battery thats died, or it could be the car charger that has gone full voltage and fried the charging circuit, when you take the rear cover off have a sniff around the inside, if it smells burnt the device is scrap.

You will need a Torx bit number 6 for this job, start by removing the case, the four screws are located under the rubber pads on the devices base

The case "pod" simply removes leaving the device sat on the table

I remove the GPS Patch aerial for this as it makes the later stages a little easier, two torx number 6 screws and the daughter board will lift away from its multipole connector.

Four Torx number 6 screws secure the main board into position, remove these to release the PCB, disconnect the two plugs as shown in the picture below.

You can now move the PCB quite some distance, but it is still attached by the Mylar ribbon cables, DO NOT DISCONNECT THESE AS THEY ARE A REAL SWINE TO RE-CONNECT.
I only removed them to make it easier to photograph, and I know how to reassemble them - You have been warned

It is possible to get the PCB to such a position as shown below with the ribbons still attached, you can now remove the battery, see the remaining pictures as to what needs to be undone, remember I only took the main PCB off for the benefit of the pictures.

Two Torx number 6 screws secure the battery retainer bracket into position, remove the screws and retainer plate, this then releases the mount release plastic allowing full access to the battery.

The Battery is a tight fit and will take quite some force to prise it from the aluminium machined body of the 910, before you pull it out make a note of the position the wires exit the battery, you need to ensure the new batteries leads are in the same position or re-assembly will take you far longer than it should do.

On later 910 models you cannot get the battery out without removing the screen and the hard drive, the battery is then easy to remove, if when taking it to bits you find it won't exit through the hole as shown in the pictures you will have to strip the device further.

Re-assembly is the reverse of how you took it to bits, don't forget the two small connectors that go to the main PCB as these can be easily missed - Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply I've already had it open and checked for power surge and its fine. I do have though a Tom Tom Rider which has the same battery so I will take it and and try it.

If the battery does need replacing I think its gonna need the Hard drive & screen out to get it out as I tried to pull it out before and it wouldn't move. but I'm sure if i disconnect the speaker i can feed the other battery in through the case and test it without having to remove the battery.

I will post back shortly with my results once again many thanks

Ok guys many thanks

put spare battery in through speaker wire hole and tested "Hey presto" it's charging. Thanks mike

Old battery now removed and new one fitted so I will test the unit in the car in shortly.

Just need to buy a new battery for the Tom Tom Rider but that can wait as i have a problem with that one too :) so its a case of

"I'll Be Back" :D:D

really appreciate the heads up guys

18:38 from iPhone

Ok guys well been out in the car drove from. Sheffield to Leeds and all is well unit never went off once and has been contiually chargingnow back to normal

Thanks once again mike I'd have been looking to repace the clip when it was the battery all along 

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi everybody!
I have the same problem but I changed the battery with no results.
With the car charger I can use the device but I can't turn it off when it's on the mount. I mean if I try to turn it off and the power is on the device restart automatically.

I don't want to change it. I think its still one of the best navigator tomtom ever produced.

Any advice?

Ty

Ask a Question