910 no sat reception?

My 910 is no longer receiving satellite signals. I've tried the following:

Installed the latest gps fix.

Reset the unit.

Wiped and restored the hard disk.

Disassembled and reassembled the unit.

I get no levels on the GPS status screen at all even after several hours with a clear view.

It is as if there is no antenna installed. Everything else seems fine.

This unit worked well until the hard drive failed last summer. I replaced the drive and it's worked up until a few weeks ago. Any other thoughts before I chuck it? I'd hate to do that as I like having John Cleese direct me to my destination!

Thanks!

You may try this:

Look here.........

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris

and delete any sub folders you see in it (use Explorer). Then on your unit delete anything you see in the ephem folder.

Now, connect the unit to Home and a new gpsquickfix file should be downloaded. See if that helps.

Good idea, but no joy. This is frustrating, I guess the most likely possibility now is hardware failure. Thanks for the suggestion!

I suppose I could pursue getting it repaired through Tom Tom, but my guess is the technology has progressed and I'm better off getting a new unit. Farewell Mr. Cleese...

The only time I've seen a post about a defective GPS receiver, the member said the GPS pinwheel on the satellite detail page wasn't spinning. You get to the satellite detail page by tapping the satellite bars on the main screen, then tapping them again on the next screen.

When you have a clear view of the sky, do you see any bars (even if grey) on the satellite detail page?

Right. Pinwheel is not spinning, and no signal level (not even grey) on any channels. I was wondering about the pinwheel, what does it actually indicate?

Right. Pinwheel is not spinning, and no signal level (not even grey) on any channels. I was wondering about the pinwheel, what does it actually indicate?

It's always spinning all the time on all devices I've seen. The only time anyone said it didn't spin was when a member had a hardware fault. So it must signify some level of hardware communication between GPS chip and mainboard.

Thanks for the help. As a somewhat related question, if I get a new TomTom (340-s perhaps) can I transfer my purchased Cleese voice to it? How about the Europe map that came with the 910? I'm sure this has been answered, but my search skills don't seem up to it.

I already replied to your question about transferring purchased voices in your other post. You cannot. same with maps from a different device.

In both cases, voices and maps, they're locked to the device originally installed on. Sorry.

Ask a Question