740 Live showing me in the fields.......

I drive a big truck and use my TT everyday. I'll be driving along and it will start showing me running next to the road that I'm on and it will start trying to reroute me everywhere. I've also noticed what appears to be a little sat. down in the bottom LH corner of the map. I checked the GPS data and it shows a couple sats. in red with no signal (it's switches which ones are red as I'm driving). I figured I needed a new gps fix since it has been months since I've done it. I brought it home and updated it but I noticed that the fix wasn't in the updates list. After some looking around on the TT site I saw that it is not currently available for downloading via TT home BUT I could get it if I was a Live subscriber........

Anyone have any ideas or this problem?? I've also had several other issues with my unit but it's better then the 3 Garmin's that I went thru in 2 months.......

The "fix" just gets you started faster. Once the unit starts to lock in satellites, it doesn't matter.

To your problem: Is this an area you've traveled before and not seen this issue? What's happening is one of two things... either your unit has a poor satellite fix (verify by satellite bars) and isn't tracking your position well, or the road you are on isn't properly geolocated (the map isn't accurate vs. the actual position of the road).

You can do a good check on the satellite situation by tapping the screen, right arrow > right arrow > Status & Information > GPS Status. From there, you can see the number of satellites are currently visible, and which of them is having data interpreted successfully (blue instead of gray bars). If you see less than 5 pretty tall blue bars, you may not have enough data for your TT to properly interpret your position. Canyon areas are notorious for blocking satellite signals, too.

If this is a geolocation issue, let us know what stretch of road it is. We can take a look to see if the maps vs. the reality are out of whack far enough to cause the error.

I'm a local driver in Indianapolis, so it ain't canyons. :D I tend to run the same roads all of the time so I do not believe it's a road location issue. It seems to be pretty erratic when it chooses to do it and it doesn't do it all of the time. So I'm gonna guess it's poor satellite reception. Do you know what the little blue satellite appearing icon is in the bottom LH corner of the screen is? It comes on shortly after the unit has started up. You can just about set your watch by it. It's been on for months. I tried looking it up in the manual and on the TT site and cannot find anythings on icons. Or what the deal with some of the satellites going red on the signal strength meter is?

Last edited:
Does the blue thingy have what looks like squiggly lines through it? If so, may be the Bluetooth connectivety icon.

Does the blue thingy have what looks like squiggly lines through it? If so, may be the Bluetooth connectivety icon.

Upon closer inspection the icon looks kinda like a cell phone signal strength meter but in a bit of a pie slice shape with a line running thru the middle of it

Upon closer inspection the icon looks kinda like a cell phone signal strength meter but in a bit of a pie slice shape with a line running thru the middle of it
It's related to your Live services connection, not satellite.

You're showing symptoms of an expired quickgpsfix file. Go to Tomtom HOME, and go to "Manage my GO", and delete Quickgpsfix from the computer and device tabs.

See if that helps any.

Ask a Question