730 POI differences?

So I upgraded from my TT One and got the GO 730 during the black friday craziness. It's pretty sweet, but I found something that had me scratching my head. I was testing it out yesterday and wanted to find an Autozone or Advance Auto (a popular auto parts store), but the new 730 couldn't find either one. I find this kind of disturbing because my One has the 8.10 POI files which found both, and the new 730 has the full 8.10 maps but couldn't find either. This is when I noticed on TomTom.com that there's a THIRD tier of USA maps offered? The first one being the One series USA maps (~800MB), then there's the NA_2GB (~1600MB), now the North America (1700MB)?

So I'm left with two questions:
1) Is there a difference in POI data between NA_2GB and North America
2) Perhaps since I'm running the NA_2GB 8.10, the POI's have been updated since. I still have my map guarantee to use so I can get the newer map. However, that doesn't explain why there would be a difference between my One POIs and the 730 which are running the same version?

So I upgraded from my TT One and got the GO 730 during the black friday craziness. It's pretty sweet, but I found something that had me scratching my head. I was testing it out yesterday and wanted to find an Autozone or Advance Auto (a popular auto parts store), but the new 730 couldn't find either one. I find this kind of disturbing because my One has the 8.10 POI files which found both, and the new 730 has the full 8.10 maps but couldn't find either. This is when I noticed on TomTom.com that there's a THIRD tier of USA maps offered? The first one being the One series USA maps (~800MB), then there's the NA_2GB (~1600MB), now the North America (1700MB)?

2) Perhaps since I'm running the NA_2GB 8.10, the POI's have been updated since. I still have my map guarantee to use so I can get the newer map. However, that doesn't explain why there would be a difference between my One POIs and the 730 which are running the same version?

Have you tried to copy the poi.dat from the TomTom One to the TomTom GO730?

Check the file size of each....the bigger one should have more POI's.....

Also, are you aware that the 810 maps are at least a year old?

Ok, so I copied the 810 POI over to the 730 and everything seems to be there. I also updated to 840, but still limited POI. On the bright side, I did do more digging and found the full 835 POI files here. All is well again. However, I'm left wondering if anyone else is bothered by the limited database on all but the top models? Or maybe nobody really uses the database and I'm making a bigger deal about it than necessary . . .
Thoughts?

The poi are less on the 740 ;maps vs the 9xx maps. One thing you can check is that on tomtom home there are a whole slew of POI 's that can be downloaded. From memory I think their is an autozone download but I could be wrong. Anyway good luck.

dXprime: I don't know if I am "bothered" by it, but this POI fact was certainly part of my pre-purchase considerations last spring before I actually bought a GPS. Thankfully, I also found the larger POI files on here and realized that was a great work-around, so I bought a 720. ("NA POI" is what's on the newer/900 series, as opposed to the "NA 2GB POI" that the older units come with).

Anyway, it is a drawback, and it would be nice if it didn't exist, but such is the price of the technological march. Nevertheless...I'm VERY happy that there's at least one member on here willing to share the larger, NA POI files, and that TomTom still remains a gadget we can tinker with, and "fix" :)

YouthInAsia: I suppose its a put off since there's nothing documented or advertised by tomotm stating the differences in the database size. I thought I was getting the best model (relative to the budget One model) by getting the 730, but then I find out there's still a differenece between maps. You're right though, it's great that someone posts the larger database. That's a huge help.
I do think their POI database is alittle weak compared to "the other guys" though, even with their NA database. Then I found it added insult to injury when they cut their database size in half with cheaper models.
I do like tomtom. I think they have a lot of neat stuff, but this whole ordeal kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.
Just my $0.02.

I purchased a 730 go and I want to update POI with the one listed on this thread, 830. After I download the zip file it does not autoload. What do I need to do? Thanks for the help. glen

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.
2. Unzip the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files from the download and use Explorer to place them in the North_America map folder on your unit, overwriting the existing files there. That's it.

Yep. Use Stuffit to unzip the files and Finder to backup the unit first and use Finder to copy the poi and crpoi dat files to the NA folder.

Ask a Question