720 v 920?'s

Does the 720 have voice address input here in the US, and how well does the 720 work as a BT speakerphone in a car with a cellphone?

And if either are somewhat negative will they get better with the 920?

THanks

Looks like the Speech Recog. will not be seen here in North America because of saftey reasons.
The 920 has Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT). It is equipped with sensors which the positioncan be calculated in areas without GPS reception, such as tunnels or city areas. It comes with the bluetooth remote and 4GB of memory with both North America and European maps.

Looks like the Speech Recog. will not be seen here in North America because of saftey reasons.
The 920 has Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT). It is equipped with sensors which the positioncan be calculated in areas without GPS reception, such as tunnels or city areas. It comes with the bluetooth remote and 4GB of memory with both North America and European maps.
Thats a shame, I find inputting new addresses the biggest deterrent for using these GPS units. I currently have a NavmanF20 and plot before I drive because it is not safe while driving. The problem I have is the F20 is so limited around every corner(Sorry for the pun) and my OnCourse6(PDA) is small(screen)and again difficult to input, but there I can create many POI's in my folders.

I just can't help but to think that speaking addresses would be safer that keying them in.

So it looks like my only other concern is in how well the BT speakerphone works, even on the 720? I don't like headsets and only looking to use it in the car.

The 920 will have voice address input

Voice Prompted Address Entry
Voice prompted address entry gives users the option to speak the address to which they want to drive. Users can simply speak the city, street name and address number they would like to travel to, and the device will automatically calculate the route.

This is according to the NA press release - http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=398&Lid=4

I have Google alerts set for the 920 and would love to see the list of BT phones it works with. Apparentally it is a problem with older models.

Thats a shame, I find inputting new addresses the biggest deterrent for using these GPS units. I currently have a NavmanF20 and plot before I drive because it is not safe while driving. The problem I have is the F20 is so limited around every corner(Sorry for the pun) and my OnCourse6(PDA) is small(screen)and again difficult to input, but there I can create many POI's in my folders.

I just can't help but to think that speaking addresses would be safer that keying them in.

So it looks like my only other concern is in how well the BT speakerphone works, even on the 720? I don't like headsets and only looking to use it in the car.

The BT speakerphone works pretty well but there have been some issues with volume and the type of phone you are trying to pair it with. I have a RAZR and paired it with no difficulty. I did have to return my first unit because of the hands free and a loud squeal on the receiving end, but the second unit works with no problem. IMHO the speaker on the TT is adequate for this service.

The BT speakerphone works pretty well but there have been some issues with volume and the type of phone you are trying to pair it with. I have a RAZR and paired it with no difficulty. I did have to return my first unit because of the hands free and a loud squeal on the receiving end, but the second unit works with no problem. IMHO the speaker on the TT is adequate for this service.
Thanks, but what im looking for is how well I sound to the people I call. I hate hearing "What?"

I did notice TT posted a list of compatible BT phones for it's 720 though! Mostly ATT and TMO...I have a Sprint Mogul.:D The 920 sounds like the ticket for me,:eek: unless they come out with a PC version so you can use on a UMPC.

You're right!
Interesting.....Looks like it may be available for the 920 models.

I asked TomTom Support about this the other day, because I thought it would be in my 720. They said that it had a hard time understanding American Voices (designed for EU voice input) and they are hoping to have that worked out by the time the 920 ships.

He couldn't confirm that it would be available as a software update for the 720, but thought it probably would.

It was yanked at the last minute, so I doubt the hardware is an issue. Should be able to do everything with software.

Ask a Question