TT920 Maps on TT720 - will it work?

mam

TomTom Model(s)
2505, 1535, 920, 140S, Sold 720, 130
I am considering purchasing the new maps on sale, instead of upgrading to a 730.

Has anyone purchased the larger NA maps for the 920 and installed on the 720 (I have an SD card, so space is not an issue)? Will it work or will TT and Home not allow it. The obvious reason for doing this is to obtain more info on the maps, especially POI, versus the NA 2GB maps recommended for the 720.

Thanks

I am considering purchasing the new maps on sale, instead of upgrading to a 730.

Has anyone purchased the larger NA maps for the 920 and installed on the 720 (I have an SD card, so space is not an issue)? Will it work or will TT and Home not allow it. The obvious reason for doing this is to obtain more info on the maps, especially POI, versus the NA 2GB maps recommended for the 720.

Thanks

Best thing to do would be to call TomTom directly and ask them. Inform them you have an SD card large enough to fit the larger map. Let us know how it goes.

The number is 866-486-6866

Also just wondering, what would you gain by upgrading from a 720 to a 730? Aren't they pretty much the same? The 730 is just an overpriced 720 in my opinion.

With 815 maps (and even 810 I believe) and 8.001 or 8.3 applications - they pretty much are. This would not be an upgrade. same as my 920 rather then a 930.

The European x40's are another matter, but we may never see them here.

With 815 maps (and even 810 I believe) and 8.001 or 8.3 applications - they pretty much are. This would not be an upgrade. same as my 920 rather then a 930.

The European x40's are another matter, but we may never see them here.

I mean, seriously though. What is the difference between a x20 and x30 series besides the color of the shell?

The only thing I can think of is that TomTom will eventually release new features, that will only be available for x30 units and not x20 units. Either that, or TomTom did a hardware makeover maybe due to problems with the x20 hardware? I'm just throwing guesses out there.

Thanks

I went ahead and called for you. They told me you can't use a map from a different device, regardless of how much space you have on your TomTom. The first thing he started ranting at me about was that the 2 maps are not different. He said the only difference is how the files are arranged, and some different colors on the maps, and that we're not missing out on much at all.

I know this is complete BULL. It is a FACT that the 920/930 devices have a much bigger POI databse which makes up for most of the size difference between the 2 maps. He then started ranting at me saying that my 4GB SDHC card won't work properly on my device. What the heck?? Are they trained to feed us lies?

Anyways, to pretty much get the same map as the 920/930, all you really have to do is get ahold of the larger POI database files and overwrite your current ones. The larger POI databse has been uploaded by a few users here. I am also currently using the 920/930 database.

Seriously - they are the same.

It was a sales/marketing issue that made them different when they first released the x30 models. They came with 8.00X applications and 8xx maps, with lane guidance, and the voice intsructions (a lot of time was spent activating the x20 series with the minor "hack") and other features.

TomTom did not make 8xx applications available initially to x20 models, as they wanted customers to buy new units if they wanted these features,

At some point, they decided to allow the 8.00x applications to be available on the x20 series (as well as the 8xx maps), so they basically became the same.

As for the SDHC cards - they do not work in the original series TomToms (tried one in a 510), but do in all latter models like the x20's. I don't think they are trained to lie - I think they are often not well trained!

As for ranting at you - shame on him - coal in his stocking this year !!

As for the SDHC cards - they do not work in the original series TomToms (tried one in a 510), but do in all latter models like the x20's. I don't think they are trained to lie - I think they are often not well trained!

He very well knew I had a 720. It was my reason for calling, asking if a 920 map can be purchased for a 720. I guess he hasn't read the "release notes"

Either way, the release notes say that the new NavCore can support SDHC cards greater than 4GB. I have a 4GB card. Why wouldn't a 4GB work?

I maybe should have also confronted him on the differences between the 2 maps, being that one has a much larger POI databases than the other, but I didn't wanna corner him.

I wonder if they either don't know, or aren't supposed to tell us that the 920/930's have a much larger POI database.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree that TT CS is not trained fully to meet the needs of the enthusiast. But, then again, most others are not either for whatever electronics.

Nevertheless, I have emailed TT regarding this question. Let me see what they say. I will update everyone once I hear back from them.

So here is the official TT response:

"We understand why this would cause some confusion. Each map is device specific, and this map would not work on the GO 720. We want to assure you the information and detail are the same on both maps. You are not receiving anything extra with the GO 920 map."

AS a result, my final decision regarding upgrading to new maps now is to purchase a refurbished 920 (which I just did for a pretty good deal) and get the free upgrade to the latest map, and put my still in good shape 720 on eBay. I may actually come out ahead financially, even though I have no plans to use the European maps.

So here is the official TT response:

"We understand why this would cause some confusion. Each map is device specific, and this map would not work on the GO 720. We want to assure you the information and detail are the same on both maps. You are not receiving anything extra with the GO 920 map."

AS a result, my final decision regarding upgrading to new maps now is to purchase a refurbished 920 (which I just did for a pretty good deal) and get the free upgrade to the latest map, and put my still in good shape 720 on eBay. I may actually come out ahead financially, even though I have no plans to use the European maps.

Ehh, not too much of a difference between the 920/720 but at least you do get 4GB of internal memory, EPT, and an extra map. But hey, you never know if you'll have to fly to europe for an emergency :p

Ask a Question