720 + traffic updates usa

I am new to all this and the tomtom site seems very unclear of what is needed. From what i have read, all i need to receive traffic updates for the go 720 is either the traffic receiver or a mobile phone capable of receiving updates? Is there a subscription from tomtom as well or is it currently free for the US?

Currently I have t-mobile and am wondering if anyone is using it with the traffic plus service. I am curious if the $5.99 a month add on for t-mobile covers what is needed for traffic.

I also live in the Chicago land area... Does anyone use this service in or around Chicago, if so how good is it.

I am going to try it and see if it works. Has anyone added traffic to their tomtom and how does it work

I am using T-Mobile and the traffic receiver both right now, as the traffic receiver finally became available over a year after it was promised.

You should probably still be able to get a least a trial subscription without buying a receiver (which comes with a 1 year subscription - even though it was advertised as being a one-off cost if purchased). You will probably have to call TT support and see if they will still set the service up without the receiver - had to do that numerous times until I got the receiver.

I am not sure if the $5.99 internet service will work - I was told by TT that only the unlimited service would work. I think some other users have said it does - so give it a try.

You should first be sure you have set up a TT Plus services account with your device registered, and then set up TT Home. Connect your device and run TT Home. Try to activate the traffic account (if TT set it up for you) with the unit connected through TT home first, as you can deal with the phone connection separately later.

As for the phone, you did not say which make and model you have. Check out their list of devices. if yours is not on it, you could try to set it up anyway - My Nokia 6133 thinks it is a 6131 on the device and works OK.

I am new to all this and the tomtom site seems very unclear of what is needed. From what i have read, all i need to receive traffic updates for the go 720 is either the traffic receiver or a mobile phone capable of receiving updates? Is there a subscription from tomtom as well or is it currently free for the US?

Currently I have t-mobile and am wondering if anyone is using it with the traffic plus service. I am curious if the $5.99 a month add on for t-mobile covers what is needed for traffic.

I also live in the Chicago land area... Does anyone use this service in or around Chicago, if so how good is it.

The t-mobile $5.99 service will not give access to traffic, at least in my experience. I dumped the $5.99 service and went with the unlimited data plan, and traffic works great.

Matt

I have contacted tomtom and have received my free 3 months to traffic plus. According to them it seems like they will keep offering 3 month trials until they figure out pricing for the service.

Has anyone gotten this to work with the 5.99 web access from t-moblie? if so what settings did you use or did your phone automatically pair.

mkruck said he had no luck with the 5.99 plan.

The t-mobile $5.99 service will not give access to traffic, at least in my experience. I dumped the $5.99 service and went with the unlimited data plan, and traffic works great.

Matt

That's correct. It used to work with the 5.99 service but that stopped around the beginning of this year. You now need to full blown internet access plan at 20 bucks a month.

Whoa.... for 5.99 it seems worth it but for 20 bucks i might reconsider. Do you use the traffic on the Tomtom and is it worth shelling out the 20 bucks... or would be worth it grabbing the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver.

Whoa.... for 5.99 it seems worth it but for 20 bucks i might reconsider. Do you use the traffic on the Tomtom and is it worth shelling out the 20 bucks... or would be worth it grabbing the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver.

If the only thing you'll be using the plan for is traffic then I'd buy the tmc-rds receiver. If you paln on using weather and buddy updates then I guess that's up to you.

right I forgot about those options... ha. Thanks for your help... I am just trying to see what the benifits are to each and if they are worth it. Thanks for your help

I have been using traffic service VIA my BlackBerry unlimited service with TMobile for about 3 months.

I am in the DC area and for those familiar with the area I travel from home in Western Loudoun County to Eastern Loundoun County VIA Route 7 to Route 28 or Route 267 to Route 28. In the evening I sometimes travel to downtown Washington DC from Eastren Loudoun or back home the revers direction from my morning commute.

I am not sure how TomTom traffic (VIA Clear Channel I think) comes up with delay times but I find that it is not very accurate. There are cases where traffic delays are reported on the radio either VIA XM Radio Traffic, Sirius Radio (I have both) or by WTOP News and TomTom does not report them.

There also are circumstances where TomTom is reporting a delay and I have not hit them. I have my traffic on my TomTom to update every 3 minutes.

Right now it would not be worth $5.99 a month which is the dollar amount I have seen on these message boards. $1.99 perhaps.

Ask a Question