720 Time Out

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
My GO 720 times out and shuts off after about 5 minutes when in the docking station and connected to my PC via USB. When I'm in my car, the time out doesn't occur.
What this means is that I cannot use the Hands Free as a speaker phone for my older Blackberry, and that when using TomTom Home, I have to stop and re-start all the time.
Any ideas as to what's going on?

Sounds as if the unit is not getting charged with the docking station. Try a different usb port, specifically on the back of the unit.

Also try a pin reset of the unit.

My GO 720 times out and shuts off after about 5 minutes when in the docking station and connected to my PC via USB. When I'm in my car, the time out doesn't occur.
Are you seeing the little green light in the lower right corner when it's plugged into your docking station? Sounds to me like your USB port is not providing the requisite 5VDC or you've got a bad cable/connection there. A lack of the green light would indicate one of those.

If trying another port doesn't work, be advised that the "docking station" is nothing more than a fancy holder with a standard USB-A to USB-MiniB cable that you can buy nearly anywhere.

Do you get a notice that the unit is going to shut down in ?? seconds? If so it sounds like the unit isn't recognizing the communication with home. The normal operation is for the unit to shut itself down after a short period of time if connected to the base but not communicating with home. I'm not sure how it decides whether to shutdown or not. I guess it could be a bad cable connection in which case you could try using a cable with a type A plug to a mini B plug and see if the same thing happens. If you have one laying around that's the easiest thing to try.

Definitely do a pin reset.

You can stop it doing this by creating a file using Note Pad, simply type the number 1 in the file and save it as "noautosuspend" (without the "") use Windows Explorer to rename the file extension from .txt to .dat and put the file in the root of the device, it won't power down now, the slight downside is you lose the auto power off feature if this file is present on the device - Mike

Thanks Mike,

I was hoping there was a preference for this as I too wanted to use the TT720 as a hands free device while not on the road. I did get the shut-off count down, but I was already on a phone call when I discovered this. No chance to check the preferences or TTF. I think I hit continue 25 or more times on that call. :|

Thanks again!

// Joe

Thanks Mike,

I remember seeing this somewhere on the web a few months ago, and lately when this started to really bother me, I googled everywhere and couldn't find the link.

I'm going to give some fodder for google search in the future:

Question: When the tomtom is plugged into a computer, and you click "No" to the "Do you want to connect to your computer" prompt, the Tomtom shuts down after 3 minutes of inactivity. This is done so that the tomtom can change into rapid charge mode. The message you see is "shutting down your TomTom GO in 10, 9, 8, 7 ... seconds". How can this shutdown be turned off?

Answer: See Mike's solution in the prior post.

Ask a Question