720 perma-sleep mode??

hello-
This is the 2nd occurrence, so i figured this would be the time to ask.

I had my 720 in the winshield cradle, no plug, took it out of the cradle to take out of sight, and turned it off for a couple of hours. Upon returning, the power button does not turn the unit on. I tried holding the power button down for a long time, tried plugging it in for some juice, and using power button, but nothing worked.

It's almost like a sleep mode, but I don't recall setting that option. The only way I know to turn it back on is to hit the reset button.

I am now trying to use the usb computer cradle, and it isn't turning on either. It is getting power though, since the little light is on.

Is the reset button the only option? Would i then loose any updates I have made?

thanks!

Last edited:
Basically when you turn your tomtom off, it goes into standby/hibernation mode. That is why it comes back on so quickly. So if you do a reset in this state, you won't loose any of your settings. Just think of your laptop in standby or hibernate mode.
When you turn the device on and hear the drums, that is a complete reboot otherwise its not.
So reset away, it won't hurt a thing.:D

thanks! Figured the reboot would have to happen.

So, how can this be avoided? Normally, when i turn the power down, and then turn it back on, it comes back on. Why this one time did it not turn back on??

thanks! Figured the reboot would have to happen.

So, how can this be avoided? Normally, when i turn the power down, and then turn it back on, it comes back on. Why this one time did it not turn back on??

It can't be avoided. It has happened to my 510 frequently. I use the reset button more than the menu icons. It happened twice last week afer shutting it down.

Ask a Question