720 Does not turn on

Hi, My wife got a 720 today. We plugged it in via the USB and waited two hours. When we turned it on, a screen appears but the "Driving View" screen never appears. When we take it out of the cradle, a blinking red X appears.
Are we missing something or is it broken?
Thanks

Well I was searching the 720 postings trying to find a solution for you...have you gone to tomtom website and downloaded home and performed updates to your gps? if not, try that to see what happens, hopefully it will help. I'm almost confident someone with more knowledge will come along and guide you in the right direction, but try dl home and updating.

Refer to B question/answer # 2

Question
Troubleshooting TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER
Answer
It can happen that your TomTom GO, ONE or RIDER doesn?t turn on or does not behave as it should. There are a couple of steps you can do yourself to make it functioning again:

A) My TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER does not turn on:
1. Connect the GO/ONE/RIDER to your home charger and charge it for at least two hours. You need to charge your ONE or GO300 for at least 2 hours using the 12-24V cigarette lighter adapter in your car.

2. Check if the green light on your GO/ONE lights up when connected to power (RIDER does not have this light).

3. Leave your GO/ONE/RIDER connected to the power cable and RESET it using a straightened paper clip - How can I reset or restart my TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER?

4. Press the ON/OFF button for at least 3 seconds.

B) My TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER does turn on but does not behave as it should:
1. Connect the GO/ONE/RIDER to your home charger and charge it for at least two hours. You need to charge your ONE or GO300 for at least 2 hours using the 12-24V cigarette lighter adapter in your car.

2. Download and install the latest application update for your product by following the instructions - How do I update my TomTom device with the latest application?

C) The GPS of my TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER has no signal:
1. Connect the GO/ONE/RIDER to your home charger and charge it for at least two hours. You need to charge your ONE or GO 300 for at least 2 hours using the 12-24V cigarette lighter adapter in your car.

2. Take your GO/ONE/RIDER outside so it can locate your position - How do I get a GPS connection?

3. What is the best place on the windscreen to mount my TomTom, PDA or Mobile device - click here

If these steps still have not resolved your issue, you will find more troubleshooting articles on our product support pages. You can search for your issue in our support articles using the search box on any product support page and check out the online user manual and quick start guide on the Download pages.

Sorry to not have been any help, Dell will honor your purchase and send you a new one...good luck and keep us posted as to how it comes out.

My wife called support and I guess the support guy did something and we got the updates to install. So the the Tom Tom finally works. So now all we have to do is learn how to use it.

Ask a Question