Does the 720 compensate at all when it loses signal or does it just

do nothing? curious as my brother in law's sony will continue to work as it has some kind of a sensor in it, didn't know if this has something as well...thanks

When I went through tunnels in West Virginia and Virginia the 720s map went gray indicating it lost the signal but the GPS registered the car moving through the tunnel and picked up the signal on the other side. Now, if the tunnel was packed and I stopped? I don't know. But I thought it handled it well.

do nothing? curious as my brother in law's sony will continue to work as it has some kind of a sensor in it, didn't know if this has something as well...thanks
None of the TomTom models below the 9xx series can manage this. The 9xx models all contain inertial sensors to update position information when satellite signal is lost. Having never played with one, I don't know how accurate the inertial sensors are, and hence, how long you can depend upon them in lieu of satellite data. From what I hear from 9xx users, it's plenty good for mountain passes and tunnels you'd see anywhere around the US.

my 720 will keep tracking through tunnels but i believe it is just "keeping" the speed that it last registered and follows the road you where on

if you made a turn off that road it would not know it

if you made a turn off that road it would not know it
Fortunately, the majority of automotive tunnels are simple, linear, branch-less paths through things. There are certainly exceptions!

Note to self: GPS devices are not-so good for subway navigation... :p

Ask a Question