7 million poi upgrade?

I normally don't use any custom POI categories. The full 9x0 set has 99% of businesses I've ever seen (I even found out my neighor ran a flower business from her house). I add the rare missing POIs via mapshare to an existing category with no problem.

Even with the 7 million poi's available on the 340's, that's still less than 25% of the available poi's. That's why a well thought-out and full-featured connected pnd would certainly have it's advantages to those who use poi lookups alot. I'm not one of those people, but for others it's pretty important to have as many available as possible.

mvl: Yes, I deleted my local ov2 files, but I didn't delete the other content you suggested. Yes, I am very much a rookie at this, but I'm willing to try any helpful suggestions such as the ones you posted. Once I have a chance to delete the content, I'll post my results. Many Thanks for your help with this!

Just reading this thread (a bit late) and unless I'm misunderstanding, have to report a far more pleasant experience. I keep a couple of custom OV2 files on my unit at all times, and after loading the two monster POI files, had no problems at all with either these "native" POIs nor my custom ones. Everything appears as it should.

Am running a 720 with most current maps and firmware. All maps and POI data on external SD.

Last edited:
mvl: Thanks for the help, but no dice for me - even after deleting the files you suggested. After I loaded the new poi files, I fired up HOME, and got the error message again, so I wasn't confident that it would work - it didn't.

Here's the message again:
ERROR: HomeBase/Unknown: Unknown exception has been caught.
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(75)
bad allocation
in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:75
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:449
error(e);
1. function error chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1116
else if (errorNonFatal)
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:517
},

I'm gonna try a re-format and start over. :)

Similar to canderson, my experience with the 8.25 poi's on my 720 has gone well. With the 8.25 poi's installed, I have full functionality of the poi's I previously had manually entered. I am running the latest firmware and maps. I have ALL my data stored on my external card, the internal is blank.

northdakota weatherman: Allow me to apologize for endlessly highjacking your thread, but it all seemed relevant to your topic....

...nevertheless...my problem is NOW SOLVED!!!!

After trying almost everything with no luck, I took a new approach and installed HOME and the NA POI's on another (XP Home) computer. When I fired up HOME with the new POI's on my 720, I DID NOT get an error message, so I was hopeful I was onto something. I shut down my 720, disconnected, and once rebooted, ALL of my normal POI categories were there!!!!!!!!! No more grey-outs!

I can definitely see the benefit to the new POI's, and all is currently fine running entirely off the SD card (maps and navcor files; internal is blank).

I don't really know why my desktop computer was causing this problem (I built it a year ago, XP Pro, C2D E8400, etc), but I can only *assume* that its some sort of Windows issue. Interestingly enough, now when I connect my 720 w/ NA POI files to my desktop computer, the error message I used to get no longer appears - everything works as it should.

THANKS TO ALL who offered help and ideas...I really appreciate it!!!

Last edited:
YouthinAsia, what version is your bootloader on your tomtom? Was your second computer an old one with only USB 1.0?

My bootloader version is 5.5015; its been this same version throughout this whole ordeal. My 720 came with 5.4106, but that disappeared when I used my LMG to upgrade to 825 maps on Day 2 of ownership.

The second computer I used is a two-week old Samsung netbook; USB 2.0 also.

I'd like to know what the real cause was so I could help others with this, but it was certainly my desktop machine - presumably a Windows problem (?) causing the error on my 720 that prevented the NA POI's from installing correctly. My desktop is "up-to-date" and is pretty clean Program-wise, so I don't know why it happened. My desktop is the machine I've been using all along for custom POI's, POI-Edit, etc...everything has worked fine except the NA POI's...

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a 740 LIVE with a 2GB MicroSD card installed. Due to my need to make map edits that only apply to one of my vehicles, I have a copy of my 825 North_America_2GB map (renamed to North_America_Truck) on the MicroSD card as well as the originally-named map on the internal memory. I also have several custom POI listings stored in my MicroSD card map folder. After making sure that the current map was the map store on the internal memory, I copied the 7 million POI files to my MicroSD card map folder.

After restarting my device, I was able to select the MicroSD card map folder, with the 7 million POIs loaded, without error, and all POI categories show up when searching for a POI.

App 8.312 (9762/090220)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5112
Map: 'North_America_Truck' v825.2157 (renamed North_America_2GB)

Ask a Question