7 million poi upgrade?

what are the chances that we can get the 7million poi's on any new maps we order? do you think it will only be available on the x40 units?

TT 730 latest maps and firmware

Highly doubtful.

Even though TomTom has used a more robust compression algorithm for the poi.dat file in the latest (825) map, the reality is that 720's are still limited by a 2 gig internal storage. So while TT cuts out stuff in each map update to make room for new roads added, it'll still 'hit the wall' of the 2 gig limit for the newer maps much before they can get 7 million poi's included.

Having said that, there are a bunch of sites (including this one) where custom poi's can be downloaded for categories you find lacking. These custom ov2 files tend not to take up that much available space in your map folder.

POI response

thanks for the explanation regarding the 2g space on the 720/730's and why there won't be room on it for 7 million POI's. I realize there are sites I can go to for things I find lacking, but I have one of those weird jobs that takes me to many small schools businesses in my state. Many small business (and several small schools) are not on my poi data base right now. I just got thru playing with a TT 340s at Target and the poi data base has sooooo many more small businees....even in a small state like North Dakota. I guess I am going to have to try and sell my 730 and move to a 340 to satisfy my needs. Thanks for your help on this.

The large POI files are on the North America map, which is only offered to GO 9x0 models. The 910 has 2.5GB of memory, and the 920/930/940 have 4GB of memory. Since the 7x0 models have 2gb of memory, they are offered the smaller POI file from the North America_2GB map.

However, the latest IQroutes maps (v 815 and later) use the high-compression capability of app 8.3 (specifically in the cspeech.dat files), that there is tons of left over space for the large POI set on the 2GB memory.

If your using these newer maps, check your free space on the internal memory. If you have enough space, you can replace your POI's with these, and you'll have the full large set. If you're out of space, delete unused computer voices, and try again. It works for me.

The 140/340 uses a previously unreleased map (USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P). The 140/340 have 2gb of internal memory just like the 720, so I didn't expect Tomtom to put the full POI set on them. I'll check at Best Buy on Monday to confirm.

The larger poi's just don't work on my 720 NA 825 map. I lose all non-custom poi categories.

^^^^ I just tried this...I lost my non-custom POI's also, so I reinstalled my original POI files. :(

There is something strange, though, because when I opened HOME with the larger POI files on my 720, I received a non-fatal error message. The message text didn't indicate the new POI files were the problem, but now that the original POI files are back on the unit the message no longer appears.

(I used Internal storage, but still had ~200mb free after the larger POI's were installed.)

Earlier, when it Did seem the larger poi's were working for me, I also experienced the problem with Home.

Guess the moral of the story (sometimes ....) is not to fool with Mother Nature. :eek:

True, but if it works for some, shouldn't it work for all those running the same versions of HOME, Navcor & Maps? Seems like it should. Besides, some of us have to endlessly try stuff on these units :D

Earlier, when it Did seem the larger poi's were working for me, I also experienced the problem with Home.

Guess the moral of the story (sometimes ....) is not to fool with Mother Nature. :eek:

I almost never use OMG in Home, but I tried it today and it worked fine. I also added and removed POI categories with no problem, and individual POIs with no problem.

Maybe the large POI has extra POI categories and causes a conflict with POIs categories you already had. Maybe you should clear out your custom POI's before doing the upgrade. The large POI file is so good that every custom poi you added will probably already be on the large file (except for custom favorites).

May be worth another shot but what happens is that when, for example, I set it to Navigate to-->POI, near me, the screen will only allow for the bringing up of custom ov2 categories I've downloaded. What is completely missing (not just greyed out) are the poi categories that should be included with the map set, like airport, etc. All the categories are simply missing.

The 140/340 uses a previously unreleased map (USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P). The 140/340 have 2gb of internal memory just like the 720, so I didn't expect Tomtom to put the full POI set on them. I'll check at Best Buy on Monday to confirm.

I checked the map on Best Buy. The 140/340 have the full GO 9x0 POI set, and they have seamless coverage of major roads in Mexico. So they have the best available tomtom map of North America to date.

The 740's were also on display for the first time, they have the North_America_2GB map, which is worse (from a POI and mexico coverage perspective) than the 140/340.

I really hope tomtom sells the 940 here soon. They're trying as hard as possible to provide reasons for enthusiasts not to buy the 740.

May be worth another shot but what happens is that when, for example, I set it to Navigate to-->POI, near me, the screen will only allow for the bringing up of custom ov2 categories I've downloaded. What is completely missing (not just greyed out) are the poi categories that should be included with the map set, like airport, etc. All the categories are simply missing.

I again tried adding a poi category, and adding a POI to it. The Navigate to POI near me brought up all categories. I picked a built-in gas station and it routed to it fine.

The only weird thing I noticed is that under Preferences -> Manage POI's -> Add POI, I'm only able to add to my custom category. If I go to mapshare -> add POI, I can see all the categories. If I remove the test category, the manage POI -> add POI is completely greyed out (may be normal functionality).

I normally don't use any custom POI categories. The full 9x0 set has 99% of businesses I've ever seen (I even found out my neighor ran a flower business from her house). I add the rare missing POIs via mapshare to an existing category with no problem.

My 720's been extremely stable in this configuration for me. I use it daily, and in the past 2 months it's only crashed once (battery got too low that the USB stopped working - fixed by a pin reset).

Best of luck trying this out again. You may need to kill all your ov2 files, deleted_poi, and perhaps even mapsettings.cfg to get it working (I know you keep good backups). I think the end result is well worth the effort.

Last edited:
I tried again last evening with the same results, no luck.

The various menu icons simply are not there anymore, not greyed out, just not there. All I have when I go to Navigate to-->Poi-->near me or in city-->is a Search poi icon and and a blue arrow. Clicking that yields the Find screen for typing in part of a name. The categories (built in) simply do not show up.

Yep, tried using the mapsettings.cfg I had stored with the big poi backup. No use. Then I tried deleting the cfg file completey. That was interesting. On bootup, I was in Louisiana! Seriously.

Used the mapsettings.cfg file associated with my small poi backup to restore proper icons and my sanity.

Also tried pin resets along the way, of course.

I did have them working at one point and only removed them because of problems with Home.

Another factor that may come into play (I don't know....) is my bootloader version is actually that of 8.204 (5.5015, I think) which I had on my machine for a while prior to returning to app 8.302.

Anyway, not going to spend too much time worrying about it at this point.

Curious though ........................

Strange - can't see how we're getting different results. I have 5.5015 too.

8.204 would have put a 5.51xx bootloader which would have probably screwed up your tomtom. I think you meant 8.320 from the work line.

Only difference I can think of is that after I got my tomtom subscription I cleared my 720 out completely. Did a full format of the internal memory (and don't use an SD card). Then I did a pin reset and the 720 generated a ttgo.bif on its own. After the ttgo.bif, home recognized the 720, and downloaded a new app (7.4-something then 8.302) and quickgpsfix on its own. Then I downloaded my map (since I had the subscription) and Susan and Mandy (as an emergency) manually in HOME. Then copied just the two crpoi.dat and poi.dat files with explorer. I didn't pull anything from backups, actually reentered my10 favorites by hand.

I know you like to use external SD - That seems like the only logical difference in our configurations, unless you have remnant files from 8.320 or navcore 7.x still messing up your configuration.

Lousiana is strange - every time I wipe out mapsettings.cfg it throws me into midtown Manhattan (until it gets signal).

Oh well, I stand by my opinion that the 1-time troubleshooting to get it working is worth the increased usability of the POI file.

Last edited:
No, I DID have 8.204 and associated bootloader.

When I have more time (read: patience), I may indeed wipe everything clean and go about it the way you did.

I may also take a look at my .bif file to see if I can change anything there.

OK, I too tried a second time with this. After removing crpoi and poi.dat from my map folder, I fired up HOME, properly disconnected my 720, shut down HOME, removed the 720 from the dock, booted it up, confirmed no POI's, did a pin reset, rebooted it, shut it down normally, and placed it back on the dock with the power off.

I then powered it back up, connected to computer, HOME started & loaded, shut HOME down, dragged and dropped the 920 POI files into the map folder, and then repeated the shutdown steps above.

I'm currently looking at my 720 with only 3 POI categories to choose from - fire stations, playing fields, and schools; no other POI categories exist to search from. Weird. Even more weird, I'm now getting the error again when I start HOME; this time, I copied it:

ERROR: HomeBase/Unknown: Unknown exception has been caught.
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(75)
bad allocation
in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:75
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:449
error(e);
1. function error chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1116
else if (errorNonFatal)
2. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:517
},
Time: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 00:59:19 GMT

I'd love to get this working, but I guess I need some help/luck...
On a brighter note, my Tripmaster 2.2 is STILL working throughout all of this! :D

edit: Back to original POI's, and its "back to normal" (or at least the way it was before). If I didn't have Tripmaster running normally, I'd wipe the whole unit and start over. Not yet. :)

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread out of curiosity because I have the 720 with firmware 8.3 and maps 8.25 and the larger POI's are working great along with my custom POI's. I have everything loaded on a 4gb class 6 SD card. The internal memory is completely blank. I'm really puzzled about what's causing the units having problems not to work with the larger POI's.

For those having problems, did you try wiping out all the custom POI's first, before replacing the two files? Of course you want to back up everything before you do this.

You'd have to erase all .ov2 .inf and .rpf files from your map folder. You may also need to wipe out mapshare edits such as deleted_POI.local, mapuserpatch.dat, and mapserverpatch.dat from the map folder, and userpatch.dat from the root folder.

If anyone with the "missing categories" problem finally gets it working, can you try refreshing your backup and removing files 1-at-a-time so others can figure out what final finally fixes the problem?

May give it a shot later, mvl. The point is, the first time I added the larger files, I also had custom .ov2 files in there and did not remove them, nor did I have to delete any other files. simply overwrote the smaller .dat files with the larger ones and it worked fine (except for Home).

Consequently, there really shouldn't be a reason why doing the same thing now should NOT work.

In any event ...... something to consider.

Ask a Question