630 will not connect to Motorola VE20

Hope someone can help. After several tries I initially was able to connect to my VE20. I transfered my address book, names were all messed up, but it worked. The next day I was unable to connect to the 630, my phone finds the 630 every time but says it is disconnected. I have done a reset a couple of times which has not helped.

When I received my 630 I did a complete backup using explorer. I then let Home do a complete update, took 50 minutes, and did another backup. I am not sure if the second backup was before I connected to the phone or not. I was just so pleased to have a 630 that worked, this is the fourth unit from a series of issues.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps we've got an issue of semantics, but it should be your TomTom finding your phone, not the other way around. Makes a huge difference when pairing...

You are correct, My TomTom can not find my VE20. However, it did once and that was it, never again.
Sounds like the pairing must be repeated, and the VE20 will have to be told to accept and trust all incoming BT connects from your TomTom.

Step 1 is to be certain that your VE20 is configured to be "discoverable" - sometimes you can leave that set until it's disabled - sometimes when in a BT menu - sometimes you can only set it for a specific length of time. Moto has a couple ways of approaching that on their various models. It needs to be discoverable for at least this initial part of the process. At that point, your TT should be able to see the VE20.

Next, re-pair starting from the TT side with your VE20 in hand and ready to accept the incoming connect request. When a pairing password is requested, hammer in 0000. That should get you paired up.

Now review the "trusted" device list on your VE20 to be sure your TT is appearing there as it should.

Last, be sure that you've got "Bluetooth Power" set to "ON" on the VE20. Without that, the TT won't be able to connect to it at all.

Working Now

Thanks to all. I did not know the phone had a discovery mode. When I activated it and set the TT to look for a phone it found the phone and now everything works. Many thanks to all.

Thanks to all. I did not know the phone had a discovery mode. When I activated it and set the TT to look for a phone it found the phone and now everything works. Many thanks to all.
It's a security feature as much as anything, but also a battery saver. Now that you are paired again with your TomTom, there should be no reason why you can't set your phone mode back to "Discoverable = Off". The discovery process should only need to be used during pairing of the two devices. Once the two devices "know" each other through pairing, that should be sufficient.

Ask a Question