540s pricing

TomTom Model(s)
540 S
Anybody find any good deals on a new 540s on the net? I've seen so many sites I can't keep track. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I've checked the sites recommended and more. $159 seems to be the best price on several sites. I can't believe the spread among all the sites that I looked at. Some $300 plus. Unbelievable. I will be placing an order today. I even found a web site for "The New COMP USA". I thought they were history! Their actually web only. As mentioned in my first post on this site, this will be my first GPS (I'm certainly not what marketers would call an early adopter). I'l be back as soon as I get it begging for help on how to use it. Looking forward to chatting with you all much more soon. Thanks again for all your help.

May I suggest you check out the listing here of acceptable (to TomTom, inc) online stores to purchase your unit.

I even found a web site for "The New COMP USA". I thought they were history! Their actually web only.
If you look closely - heck, forget closely! - the compusa.com site is actually a very slightly modified version of tigerdirect.com who took over the compusa.com online presence when compusa went belly up. Once you get off the main page, you'll find the content and pricing is identical.

Thanks for the feedback Canderson. You're right. I had been to both sites and didn't pick up on that. Well, I have ordered my new 540s and it should be here by Wednesday, 3/31. I had some unused AMEX reward points in my account and used them to offset the cost at Crutchfield who partners with AMEX on certain items. Just so happens the 540s was one of them. Cost $70 w/ points. I'm sure I'll be back for help on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on time. As I stated in an earlier post, I'm not what you would call an early adopter when it comes to technology. This will be my first GPS. I hope I got the right one. I'm excited to begin my journey. Have a blessed day and thanks again to everyone.

And when you get the 540S, make sure the first thing you do is an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

DHN

Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll try and follow the "sticky" instructions on this process first before I come back with my tail between my legs and ask for further help. I just thank the Good Lord you guys are here to help.

Thanks for the feedback Canderson. You're right. I had been to both sites and didn't pick up on that.
You should have seen it early on after the "merger". The ONLY difference was the name/logo - the pages were all identical apart from that - even the home page! One of these days I need to study who it was that picked up the name and is opening the brick and mortar stores again and if they've got any relationship at all to TigerDirect. Just a point of curiosity.

Well, I have ordered my new 540s and it should be here by Wednesday, 3/31. I had some unused AMEX reward points in my account and used them to offset the cost at Crutchfield who partners with AMEX on certain items. Just so happens the 540s was one of them. Cost $70 w/ points. I'm sure I'll be back for help on Wednesday or Thursday, depending on time. As I stated in an earlier post, I'm not what you would call an early adopter when it comes to technology. This will be my first GPS. I hope I got the right one. I'm excited to begin my journey. Have a blessed day and thanks again to everyone.
Nice deal with the "points". Can't beat $70. $110 worth of points sure did bring down your cost.

Here's hoping you get the value from your GPS that many of us out here have been enjoying for a while now. Like everything else tech, by delaying, you get the benefit of MUCH lower prices and improved technology. It's us gadget geeks that take the brunt of the new product launches but can't seem to help ourselves!

Canderson, DHN and the rest,

I'm not sure you guys/gals realize just how much you are appreciated, giving your time and expertise to others less fortunate when it comes to tech skills. Honestly, your initial encouragement and willingness to offer help in earlier posts is what moved me to make the purchase. Left on my own, I'm not sure I would have bought one at all.

Honestly, your initial encouragement and willingness to offer help in earlier posts is what moved me to make the purchase. Left on my own, I'm not sure I would have bought one at all.
What the heck .. I'm a sucker for a cute dog avatar:p

So now that you have your new unit on the way, what's your plan for using it? I realize that some folks just want to see what the buzz is all about given the way these things have proliferated, but since you don't seem to fit in to that category, I'm guessing you have a more specific use in mind that the old Rand-McNally approach didn't answer.

The avatar is of our beloved "Mr. Willy", may he rest in peace.

What wiill I use it for? Several weeks ago my son and daughter-in-law came for a long weekend after my son returned from his deployment in the Middle East. We were out exploring some of the North Georgia area, we're originally from Florida, when my wife decided she wanted to go to the nearest mall to go shopping. She's the ultimate "mall rat". My daughter-in-law whipped out her GPS and in less than a minute we found out we were less than seven miles from the Mall of Georgia. That's all it took. Visions of every mall within the continental United States went buzzing through my wife's mind. She wanted a GPS. That's how the whole GPS purchase saga began. Before that moment, neither one of us could have told you anything about a GPS. What's worse, she's even more technically challenged than I am. I could probably write a book on the coming misadventures between the both of us. But there is hope; I can finally change the time on my digital watch when the time changes. I am looking forward to getting this thing set-up and working and begin the adventure.

OK - you're under no obligation to use this information. I promise that I won't tell your wife that I offered it to you.

While your TomTom will have pretty good mall coverage, malls, like any other category you can imagine, also have custom POI (Point of Interest) files built either professionally or avid users. Here is an example of a POI file that you could download and copy into your TomTom's map folder (we'll explain how that works if you decide you want to do it).

Malls in the United States - Shopping GPS POI data directory for Garmin, TomTom, Navman, Destinator and other GPS brands. - GPS POI Data

This set may already be covered well in your TomTom's list, or it may add a few to the collection. Load them up and take away the credit card. Whatever, it's something to play with, and will introduce you to the concept of "custom" Point of Interest files. There are several major websites that focus on this aspect of GPS use and tweaking. The one above is one of the more popular.

Canderson,

The mall thing is a must. How do I download it? My unit is up and working and I'm experimenting with it now. I used it for the first time to go a few miles away and it appeared to be dead-on when crossing intersections. Other posts I've read seemed to have complained about this. So I'm feeling GOOD.

Also, now that I have a completely updated unit, should I make another back-up copy to replace the one I made when I first got the unit? If so do I keep both or just the new one?

Last edited:
Canderson,
The mall thing is a must. How do I download it?
I'm having trouble getting their site to cooperate at the moment. I'll get back to you on the specifics.

Also, now that I have a completely updated unit, should I make another back-up copy to replace the one I made when I first got the unit? If so do I keep both or just the new one?
You bet. Any time you make a major change (new firmware or new map), it's super important to do it. Be sure you don't overwrite your previous backup. Try to keep two of them ... the current one and the one just before. I also tend to make a backup every few months just to capture other things I've changed myself.

Ask a Question