540 TM Newbie

I am trying to be careful as I can setting up this device for the first time. It is an exchange for one that I had a horrible experience with, but fortunately, amazon exchanged without question.

I have followed the advice and made a manual backup.

I'm on a Mac (not PC) by the way.

I set up my options, downloaded the small updates QuickGPSFix and Mapshare. I made another manual backup just to be extra careful.

I have confirmed Home works fine by poking around.

But, I have not dowloaded nor installed any updated maps, out of anxiety/fear. (It has the 835 maps).

First dumb question, how do I download the 850 maps WITHOUT installing them (I want to manually install). It appears to me, if I use HOME to download, they will install automatically.

Welcome to TTF.

You certainly have done the right thing making your Finder backup.

Make sure your new unit is registered with a different email address than the original unit. Doesn't even have to be a real address, just in the form of (e-mail address removed).

You can get your latest map (850) using Home's Latest Map Guarantee.

It initially installs on the computer (all downloads of files from TT first go directly to the computer) and will be found here (think the path is the same [or close] on a Mac as on a pc):

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Anyway, once the install to the computer starts, you can click on 'cancel' and install manually if you so desire:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Ask a Question