540 s wte Where are the map ?

TomTom Model(s)
XL 350 2G TTS
Hi ,
I just bought the 540 S WTE like dhn, and another nice guy on this forum, suggest to me.

Here my problem , Google translate because I'm french canadian.

1 - When purchasing in store, I turned the TomTom on the spot and the menu indicated a choice for maps USA / Canada or Europe.
So far so good.

2 - At home, I made an update to TomTom Home.

a) The first question It asked to myself is, what map would be the most used? I responded USA / Canada.

b) The update was done, (for USA / Canada) and it took about 1: 30 hour.

3 - To update Europe, TomTom Home tells me that there is not enough memory on the device. And after checking, to have enough, I must remove the card USA / Canada!!
I find it strange for a device wich must hold contain the 2 maps.

4 - I have not done the update to Europe.

5-I tried to see if my TomTom, I can see my 2 maps on the screen, like at the store. Not Impossible. Only the USA / Canada map.

6 - Where is the map of Europe and how the show?
***** If I look, how to deal with my TomTom Home XXL, I see that in the unit there are 2 maps.

Please, can you help me?

Louis

When you first get the unit, there is a map of USA_Canada AND Western_and Central_Europe. But the European map for 865 is too large (2.2 gigs) to fit onto the unit as well as the USA_Canada map.

So, when you update Europe, you'll only be offered a European zone to download and install to reside on the unit along with the USA_Canada map.

For example, I have the North_America map and the Euope_West zone on my unit.

If i want a different zone, I would go to Manage my Device-->Device tab-->Maps-->Europe_West and there's a link to 'change zone'. So, if I want, say, Europe_East, then the Europe_West needs to be moved to the computer and then the new zoned map will get downloaded and installed.

Important.............

If you have not done so, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now.

I would then (after making sure you DO have the Explorer backup) remove the Western_and Central_Europe map (you can move it again to the computer even though it'll be part of the Explorer backup) and then delete it from the unit.

THEN, update the Europe map and select a zone for downloading and installation.

The breakdown of what countries are in each zone can be found in this thread:
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras

Very good answer dhn.

I have to look at my tomtom wich "Europe" is loaded in.

Maybe when I choose to update I choose another "Europe" than the on is in my TomTom.

I Look at this and I comeback.

I apreciate your help.

Louis

Everything is fine and working.

I select the Europe map on my Tomtom and connect to my computer, open TomTom Home to update my map, and it work,
Now I have USA/Canada/Mexican AND Western and central Europe in my TomTom

I think my mistake was to not know how to change maps on my TomTom
I dont know I have to go to select map, first

And other mistake, when TomTom Home ask me to update the map I do the wrong choice ; I select ALL the complete map (2 Gb ) not just the download ( few Mb).

The instruction manual I found is for the 540 S and this unit have only one map, So they don't talk how to switch between 2 maps.

Thank's dhn for the great help

About to save on my computer by NOt using Home. Why Tomtom don't repair this problem with Home after so many years ?

About to save on my computer by NOt using Home. Why Tomtom don't repair this problem with Home after so many years ?

They probably have... but there were so many disasters in the early days that those of us with long memories prefer to play safe... we KNOW the Windows Explorer backups work.

Also if you use Home to do your backups, you can only keep ONE at a time - which is useless!

Also if you use Home to do your backups, you can only keep ONE at a time - which is useless!
Before I knew how fragile Home could be, I just renamed the backup folders it made each time, using the month and year as part of the name. That way, it wouldn't overwrite the old one with the new one.

If you have to use Explorer to rename the backup, you might as well use it to make the backup in the first place! :p

I realise there were ways round it by renaming folders, but TT never pointed out that it was a problem and the average user would probably not realise how important it was.

No, what Andy said was that only one backup was kept at a time (it would copy both maps in the case of a WTE model).

But, if you wanted to make another backup, Home would overwrite the first one, not make a folder in a second location on the computer).

The problem with that is if it turned out there was an issue with the unit, you couldn't now revert to backup #1 since it got overwritten with the contents of the unit (containing the problem) in backup #2.

Ok dhn I understand now. I find an another way to do backup for Mac ( That' s I have ) on a french speaking forum. I don't know if is realy better than your way dhn. But it is easier to me.

Don't forget I 'm french speaking technical words , in english, not esy for me

Thank's

Louis

Use Finder on a Mac instead of Explorer (that's for a pc).

And there is nothing wrong with your English, ;)

Than's about my english but trust me, sometimes I can't understand what english speaking people realy mean.

Yes about Mac is not Explorer but on the tomtom french forum they explainan easy way than finder. I must admit is about the Finder I could'nt understant how the backup should be done

Hope this is close:

J'esp?re que la m?thode utilis?e n'?tait pas ? l'aide ? HOME pour la sauvegarde

Yes, the site suggests using Finder. For those with pc's, we suggest using Explorer.

La meme chose.....:D

Ask a Question