510 TMC-RDS problem

I have recently updated my 510 to navcore 7.903. Since I have done this, my RDS-TMC is continually searching for a signal which it never finds. If I put an earlier backup on a SD card, it woks perfectly!!!
I have copied the ephem folder and the GNS folder from an old SD card (which works OK) but the signal still can't be found.
Any Ideas

Thanx

I have known this procedure to work in the past with updates to the x10 so it might be worth giving it a shot:

Find the file mctx.dat in the backup files of your device and copy that file to the root of the 510 which should replace the existing file with the same name.
On the device go to the "gns" folder and delete the file "gnsdata" (this will be automatically recreated when the TomTom next boots up).
Eject the USB device from the PC and let it fire up, connect the DS receiver and see what happens - Mike

I replaced the GNS and Ephem folder from an earlier backup, but this time I also replaced the mctx.dat file as you suggested. Now it works fine.
Nice one M8

Glad to hear that worked, it looks like the files in the 7,903 Navcore release are messed up but the old files still kick the unit in to life - make sure you keep a copy of the backups for more than one release as this opens up a way to address failings such as this - Mike

RDS & Rebooting

Hi only just discovered this group.
I have had continual problems since updating to software 7.903 including continual locking & rebooting when updating traffic via mobile and will not tune in with RDS either.
Contacted TomTom who had me rebuilding the TomTom a number of times which included deleting all PC files and back-ups. Finally they asked for it to be returned for repair, when returned problem still there, second time returned a replacement GO710 (refurbished) still same problem. Unable to follow your resolution as no backup files to replace the newer files.

Really surprised that TomTom, despite me telling them originally that problems started following software update, have not admitted problem with software!
Any other suggestions?

Ian

Hi Ian, in the root of the memory card you will find a file named mctx.dat right click this and choose "Open With" then select NotePad.

The contents if messed up will look like:
TX01C????V? .?P?Q'?VN??$?????dy??dG?z~z

You need to delete all that rubbish and put "22220" (without the quotes) in, save the file and your unit should now work with the RDS receiver - Mike

Rds

Mike
Still will not tune in it was looking good to start with. Notice in the root directory ther is a Pluserror text file containing a lot of data refering to traffic

Thanks for posting this tip. Having not renewed my traffic subscription, I was getting more cross with the 'broken' RDS tuner, which is now fixed!

Shame this simple fix cannot be pushed out with the TomTom updates

Ask a Question