4GB SD Upgrade trouble

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One XL
I got a 4 GB SD Card for my Tom Tom One XL. I've put it in my device but when I hooked it to my PC via USB of course it does not start. It showed up as a removable device on my PC but when I try to read the card it gives me the "Insert Media" message. I've read and tried the instructions from this thread " https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=868 "
"How to upgrade a ONE to a 2 GB card for NA Maps" but it did not even give me the chance to change devices. I am running Version 2.1.2.121 of HOME. I have done a back up of my ONE. I have also tried to copy the files from my ONE XL to the SD card but it still does not see the device.

What am I diong wrong? :confused: :(

Please help!!!

I got a 4 GB SD Card for my Tom Tom One XL. I've put it in my device but when I hooked it to my PC via USB of course it does not start. It showed up as a removable device on my PC but when I try to read the card it gives me the "Insert Media" message. I've read and tried the instructions from this thread " https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=868 "
"How to upgrade a ONE to a 2 GB card for NA Maps" but it did not even give me the chance to change devices. I am running Version 2.1.2.121 of HOME. I have done a back up of my ONE. I have also tried to copy the files from my ONE XL to the SD card but it still does not see the device.

What am I diong wrong? :confused: :(

Please help!!!

Most SD cards that ar 4GB really do NOT conform to the SD standard as one would think. Obviously, the TomToms do not yet support SDHC (SD High Capacity cards) as that is a total different architecture and protocol. I've done a lot of searching in the past couple of weeks reading a ton of posts and I have not run across anyone that actually got a 4GB card working....there may be some lucky person that found a manufacturer that truly meets the SD standard with 4GB, but to be safe only a 2GB card is the largest the TomTom supports unless it specifically notes SDHC as a supported format.

I have 4GB card running on my One but it has to be an SD card....SDHC will not work. The brand I got was Topram and it was pretty cheap

I have 4GB card running on my One but it has to be an SD card....SDHC will not work. The brand I got was Topram and it was pretty cheap

Excellent to know! I talked to a few people that tried other cards and they never worked for them....this is a great datapoint! Thanks for sharing.

4GB SD card

I have heard from quite a few people that have found non-HC 4GB SD cards, and they are working just fine in their TT ONE. They're not easy to find, but they will work.

If you want to go for a 4GB card (non SDHC), the brands that work perfectly is Topram and Transcend. I have the 4GB Transcend card and it works perfectly fine.

Good to know. I have a SDHC Kingston. I guess I'll have to look for a regular SD.

Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question