Upgraded TT1 V4 with 4GB card

TomTom Model(s)
One v4
Well after seeing that the unit was running much slower and that there wasn't much space left I decided to get an SD card. I was going to go with a 2GB card since it seems the majority work but I saw a few postings about the 4GB Topram High Speed SD Card and figured I would give it a shot. I ended up buying mine off ebay and got it delivered for < $40 so not a bad deal. I popped it in tonight and sure enough everything seems good so far. When I first put it in I saw ~3.7GB of space which seems about right then I just copied a back-up and pasted it on the card. A short while later I had the unit running and loaded all the other extra POI's I found and the Guam map (not that I'll ever use it) and it was running great. So if anyone is thinking about upgrading this is a functional card.

Two questions though: Why does TT supply a map of Guam and not Puerto Rico? I would think most Americans are more likely to end up there than Guam. Last, I put the pictures of Europe back on but I have no idea what they are for or even how I access them on the unit....can anyone explain what they are for?

Yup, not sure what they are for and/or how to access them. When I was running low on memory I removed them but now they are back but I am not sure why.

Also maybe someone can clarify this. Originally I upgraded because the unit seemed slow and when I checked how much memory was left it was low. Well after installing everything on the SD card and then checking the memory available (through menu on TT, I think it is version button) it still reads the same thing. Is this normal?

Yup, not sure what they are for and/or how to access them. When I was running low on memory I removed them but now they are back but I am not sure why.

Also maybe someone can clarify this. Originally I upgraded because the unit seemed slow and when I checked how much memory was left it was low. Well after installing everything on the SD card and then checking the memory available (through menu on TT, I think it is version button) it still reads the same thing. Is this normal?

When you connect to TT Home you should get the actual amount of memty left on the card. I switched to a 2Gig car and my amount went form about 23mb to 936 mb or so.

OK...TT Home shows like 2.7GB available, just thought it was strange. I think I will restore the internal memory to what it was out of the box so if the card takes a crap I have a fail safe, might not have all the added features but at least I'll be able to get home.

The satellite images install raster images on your SD card. In your case, they would be images of Europe. To access them, use the browse map function and zoom all the way out.

(through menu on TT, I think it is version button) it still reads the same thing. Is this normal?

The version information shown through VTT will show you incorrect information. For instance OS number will be incorrect, and the RAM (which I assume is the memory you are talking about) will always say 32MB.

Maybe you know: High Speed SD it's the same with SD HC (High Capacity)?
I want, also, to buy 4Gb SD and I choice Kingston 4Gb SDHC, Class 4 (it's new classification from Kingston).

Maybe you know: High Speed SD it's the same with SD HC (High Capacity)?
I want, also, to buy 4Gb SD and I choice Kingston 4Gb SDHC, Class 4 (it's new classification from Kingston).

Actually they are not the same, the SD and SDHC have different specifications.

I would avoid to buy any SDHC as it will most likely not work.

What exactly did you copy and paste to the new card, is it the folder "GO" with ALL sub-folders within it because there is ALOT of them, it even looks like there's a folder containing "tomtom HOME" installation files.

Thanks in advance.

videoman

Ask a Question