411 on TomTom One?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTomOne
Ok, so I just received my new TT1 and am completely lost when it comes to all it's capabilities. I'm reading here that you can add new POI's to an SD card that you insert into it. I came across this SD on sale at Circuit City this week and wondered if this is what I need?

This is where things get fuzzy for me. Once I have an SD card how would I go about transferring things onto my TT1 with it? Do I have to hook my TT1 up to my laptop? Do I have to load the software onto the laptop that came in the box with my TT1? In case you haven't realized yet, I'm not all that computer savvy. :eek:

Any info, step by step instruction, free home tutorials, would be much appreciated. Lol.

Thanks,

RS911

Actually, you don't need an SD card at all. You can copy the POI files (they come in pairs) directly into the map folder on the internal memory. You can use Windows Explorer to do this.

If you have so many POIs that the internal memory can't handle them, then an SD card will work. Remember that the card must contain a complete copy of what is in the internal memory, including the map. When inserting the SD card, you bypass the internal memory completely. It doesn't work as an 'add-on'. It's a case of either/or.

Remember to have made a complete backup before mucking around.

Actually, you don't need an SD card at all. You can copy the POI files (they come in pairs) directly into the map folder on the internal memory. You can use Windows Explorer to do this.

If you have so many POIs that the internal memory can't handle them, then an SD card will work. Remember that the card must contain a complete copy of what is in the internal memory, including the map. When inserting the SD card, you bypass the internal memory completely. It doesn't work as an 'add-on'. It's a case of either/or.

Remember to have made a complete backup before mucking around.

ohh that makes sense (kinda) at least it explains how it works lol. wonder why they didn't just make it a memory extension :confused:

i assume you can use the desktop s/w too to copy though explorer seems would be faster/easier.

guess that implies i can also just burn a cd of the contents of my tom. never thought of that. kewl. what is the max SD card it can handle BTW? i bought a 1G yesterday (microcenter generic brand 9.99, 2G 17.99) i assume that's plenty (for now)

Do you know where I might find a tutorial on how to do this? I'm assuming the TT1 has to be hooked up to my laptop to do this correct?

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited:

Ask a Question