335m vs 340m vs 350m

I have read the the information off the web but can not seem to find the major differences, I will be upgrading from a tomtom one 3rd gen It has been great but for almost the same as two updates I can buy a new gps. The life time maps is huge to me so that must be included. If you all would suggest a different model then the three I listed. I just dont get the differences in the three.
Thanks
Josh

Welcome to TTF......

Major difference between the 335M (lifetime maps) and the 340M is that the 340 includes Mexico as well as US and Canada. Both have the full menu structure.

The 350M, while including lifetime maps and Mexico as well as US and Canada, comes with the new'Easy Menu'

Other terms for the 'Easy Menu' include 'simplified', 'dumbed down' 'useless' and 'just plain crap'. Many fewer menu options than the full menu structure of the other models.

Get the idea...........:cool:

Whichever model you get (335 or 340, make sure it is the 'S' model which means text to speech). The base model for both doesn't include that.

The 335TM with lifetime maps and traffic cable is usually $170 at Amazon. Love mine. Not going to Mexico so no need for that map wasting space on the 340. The 335M, 335T and 335TM have TTS.

Easymenu on 350 = Garmin style

Think SAMs has the 335 lm that will mostlikly be what I will be buying. Traffic is not offered where I live so I do not see the point of the extra cash.
Thanks a bunch All
Josh

The 335LM from Sam's has the Garmin style EasyMenu with less options that the regular 335M from Amazon.

Like Josh, I'm planning on upgrading to a newer TomTom from my 3 yr old 3rd edition. I was going to go with the XXL 540TM-WTE, but don't think I need that much to be perfectly honest.

Target™ advertised in today's paper the XL-335TM (with lifetime traffic and map) for $140. What I can't find anywhere is how much internal memory does this unit have? Hopefully it's at least 2 gig.

And... how difficult is it to update to a new map if it only has 2 gig?

Thanks. Couldn't find what I was looking for thru a search. :rolleyes:

What I can't find anywhere is how much internal memory does this unit have? Hopefully it's at least 2 gig.

And... how difficult is it to update to a new map if it only has 2 gig?
2GB internal, no provision for external (SD). So far, in North America, you're OK with 2GB. The Europeans are starting to run into problems with that, though -- they have to choose pieces of their "map" to load from their PCs based upon where they're going.

How long before we run into similar problems is anyone's guess.

Thanks.

I suspect when we don't have enough memory to update the map, TomTom will say we've reached the end of the units 'usable life' and the lifetime guarantee will lapse.

To be perfectly honest, I was ALMOST going to wait on the release of Garmin's nuvi 2360LMT... with lifetime maps and traffic. They're advertising 'traffic trends' as being their new feature. But... since I'm familiar with TomTom, I think I'll stay the course and continue to put up with TT Home frustrations. I like TomTom's routing, the ability to customize their features, etc.

Last edited:
Just stay away from any TomTom model with the 'EasyMenu'. While a recent application has liberalized user choice soewhat, the user preferences are still limited compared to models with full menu functionality.

Thanks dhn,

Yeah, there's no way I'd be happy with the 'easy menu' (or 'dumb down' menu). With the 3rd edition I've moved the clear route to the first menu page, added itinerary planning, have it so it can dual boot, and a couple of other things.

I am going to miss the manual reset button on the bottom. I always do a reset after using it to keep the battery from draining. I sometimes go a month before turning it back on. When I do, the battery is fully charged.

Rick

Thanks.

I suspect when we don't have enough memory to update the map, TomTom will say we've reached the end of the units 'usable life' and the lifetime guarantee will lapse.
FWIW, they didn't do that to the folks in Europe. As I noted, they did wind up having to load only needed sections of the full European map at one time as a result. The full collection would reside in the PC, and pieces transferred as necessary. If need be, TomTom could certainly do the same thing with states and provinces in the North American map.

FWIW, they didn't do that to the folks in Europe. As I noted, they did wind up having to load only needed sections of the full European map at one time as a result. The full collection would reside in the PC, and pieces transferred as necessary. If need be, TomTom could certainly do the same thing with states and provinces in the North American map.
Thanks Canderson,

I sure hope TomTom does that.

I just picked up an XL-335TM from Target this morning ($149). I opted for the 2yr replacement warranty (with Target) for an additional $17. Hopefully I will never need it. Target also has a 90 day return policy.

Question... with my 3rd edition, I've been using an old version of Home (2.1.2.121). There was a time when a number of Home updates were causing trouble – so I just stuck with the older ver. since it worked fine. (BTW, the old vers of Home kept providing 'map-share' updates for the past 3 years.) Should I update Home to the newest vers... 2.7.6.205? Is it a safe version?

First on my list though is to make a complete 'Windows Explorer' backup of the XL335 even before Home looks at the new device. :D

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yep, make the Explorer backup.......

Then get the latest Home application......

Connect your unit and log in with a different email address than you used for the other unit. Doesn't have to be real, just in the form of (e-mail address removed)

Then get the LMG and make another backup.

Thanks dhn,

Good to know the latest TT Home is good.

BTW, this forum is one of the reasons I decided to stick with TomTom. I visited a Garmin forum and there are days or weeks that go by without any responses for help.

Thanks to all the mods... and super mods... and other users that share their expert knowledge. It's much appreciated.

When I first connected the XL335 to my PC, a 'found new hardware' bubble tried to run and install a new driver. The first 2 times it failed because I couldn't see the device with WinExplorer. And, TT Home couldn't see it either. This concerned me as I had to disconnect the TT without clicking 'safely disconnect' or using device pull down on TT Home. Third time was a charm however and I was able to do an Explorer backup (took almost an hour for 2 gig). Whew!

Took the unit out this evening when I went to band rehearsal. Worked well – but Susan pronounced 'Lantana Road' as "London-R Road". Very strange. So when I got home later this evening I renamed 'cphoneme.dat' to 'cphoneme.old' and now Susan says the road correctly.

I see that I have App 9.051.5038552 and the North American Map is 845.2670 already installed. In the brief time I ran Home, I see that there is a new Application. Not sure about a map yet. I'll check tomorrow as it's getting past my bedtime.

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited:

Ask a Question