xl 340m - corrupt file in statdata folder

TomTom Model(s)
xl 340m
Hello everyone, my first post here, couldn't find an answer in the forums so here goes. I bought this unit almost two years ago but haven't used it more than a handful of times. Today, I turned it on and it suggested updating the maps. I tried to update it without backing it up (not realizing that a backup is critical on these things). The update tried to install and then failed at the end, saying I didn't have enough room. I couldn't find anything to delete so I was stuck.

I tried to do a backup using home and it kept failing. After the failure, the "H drive" where it was showing up in Windows Explorer was empty. The contents would reappear after disconnecting and reconnecting the unit. I then tried to do a manual backup using Explorer and it would fail at seemingly random points, and the H drive would be empty again.

I decided to copy each folder individually and it worked until I got to the Statdata folder. In the folder were 3 files: a 1.2gb file named % (just a plain percent sign), allowtrip.dat (1 byte), and exico_P/. (0 bytes). The % and exico_P/. files appear to be the issue because they can't be copied - Explorer says "Cannot copy file: cannot read from source file or disk". Anyone know if I can try to get rid of these two files? The unit still works so I don't want to guess with this. I have everything copied to my hard drive except those files. My guess is it's some corrupt leftover from the failed install but I don't want to take a guess and ruin the unit. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Copy everything except the two files using Explorer. Especially make sure you've copied the map folder as well.

Then format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore the Explorer backup.

Any better?

That did the trick. Formatted it and restored the backed up files, I was able to update it and now I have plenty of free space. Learned a lot in the process. Thanks!!!

Ask a Question