Upgraded TT720 to v8.x

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 720
I did the upgrade to 8.x yesterday after taking a backup with both Home and Explorer. The following were the difference I noticed till now:
-I could edit the Speed of a road, a feature that I was longing to have. It is cool that the speed of a highway can be assigned to sections of a highway and manually sections can be removed or added (It is also a pain to do this with the map). After enabling this I could see the speed limit next to the current speed, which I corrected as I drove by.
-The display seems a bit crispier (glossy touch).
-There is the 'advanced lane guidance' in the menu which dosent work with 720 maps.
-The GPS bars are now Horizontal (I liked the vertical better).
-The compass keeps rotating around, seems different from previous(I liked the previous one). But I noticed that there is an option in the Status Bar Preferences to display the direction of travel (Maybe it was already there), this also displays some degree along with N,S,E,W.
-Bootup seem to be faster (the splash goes away quicker than before)

I did not experience the problems that I read in other blogs with the update, like 'slower re-routing'. I drove in the morning to test this and was working as before to me.
I did not have the 'disconnect' problem either (I read that ppl were having problems with disconnedtnig TomTom from Home), Tomtom disconnects on the first attempt from Tomtom Home.

Voice Recognition which was working in v7.45 (without support_asr.dat file) is no longer available in the menu.
-I copied the support_asr.dat file into the ASR folder in TT and did a pin reset. The Voice Recognition is back and is working.

POI seemed to be the same to me (I am using the TT720 POI), though I did not play with it.
I dont use traffic, so nothing there. Fuel Prices was there from 7.45.
I did not test the TTS, seems like that also has some improvements (read somewhere). I did not check if the Vocie Recognition is still there, I assume that it is.
Will keep adding to the list if I find more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I like the idea that we can add speed limits to the roads too. I'll be finding a fast connection this weekend and downloading the latest version. I report my findings here as well. I'm running 7.15 maps.

I saw lane guidance on the preferences panel, it says I dont have the correct map version, I wonder if anyone got this to work?

I saw lane guidance on the preferences panel, it says I dont have the correct map version, I wonder if anyone got this to work?

Seems like this requires v8 maps:mad: . I am not sure if they are already out, but this need to be purchased for this option to work.

Seems like this requires v8 maps:mad: . I am not sure if they are already out, but this need to be purchased for this option to work.

Version 8 maps are not as yet available for non x30 models. Considering past practice of TomTom (putting maps on sale prior to release of new ones), there is a sense that version 8 maps for x20 will be available for purchase in August. Whether the features with it now will work with Nav8 and x20 models remains to be seen. Also there is the issue of VR; it may work, it may not.

I don't understand why people would want to edit or even log the speed limits on roads... What the point? Thanks

In case they want to use the Warn when over the limit. Also for Nav8 software, the status bar shows x/y for speed you are going where x is your speed and y is max. Also, the corrected speed can be uploaded via mapshares, I believe, in order to help with more accurate eta's being shown when those roads with more accurate speed limits are utilized in map routing.

Also, just because you can. :D

In case they want to use the Warn when over the limit. Also for Nav8 software, the status bar shows x/y for speed you are going where x is your speed and y is max. Also, the corrected speed can be uploaded via mapshares, I believe, in order to help with more accurate eta's being shown when those roads with more accurate speed limits are utilized in map routing.

Also, just because you can. :D

Thanks! I'm a techie-geek, but I'm still wondering why people couldn't just look at the speedometer, :p

Also there is the issue of VR; it may work, it may not.
Voice Recognition was not working for me initially after the upgrade. I copied the support_asr.dat with the value '1' to the ASR folder of TT and it is working now.

I don't understand why people would want to edit or even log the speed limits on roads... What the point? Thanks

If TomTom knows how fast you should be driving on the roads, it knows how long it will take you to get places.

Basically, having the TT know the speed limits will help it calculate the ETA with much more accuracy than it currently does.

I did the upgrade to 8.x yesterday after taking a backup with both Home and Explorer. The following were the difference I noticed till now:
-I could edit the Speed of a road, a feature that I was longing to have. It is cool that the speed of a highway can be assigned to sections of a highway and manually sections can be removed or added (It is also a pain to do this with the map). After enabling this I could see the speed limit next to the current speed, which I corrected as I drove by.
-There is the 'advanced lane guidance' in the menu which dosent work with 720 maps.
-The compass keeps rotating around, seems different from previous(I liked the previous one). But I noticed that there is an option in the Status Bar Preferences to display the direction of travel (Maybe it was already there), this also displays some degree along with N,S,E,W.

I did not experience the problems that I read in other blogs with the update, like 'slower re-routing'. I drove in the morning to test this and was working as before to me.
I did not have the 'disconnect' problem either (I read that ppl were having problems with disconnedtnig TomTom from Home), Tomtom disconnects on the first attempt from Tomtom Home.

Voice Recognition which was working in v7.45 (without support_asr.dat file) is no longer available in the menu.
-I copied the support_asr.dat file into the ASR folder in TT and did a pin reset. The Voice Recognition is back and is working.

POI seemed to be the same to me (I am using the TT720 POI), though I did not play with it.
I did not test the TTS, seems like that also has some improvements (read somewhere). I did not check if the Vocie Recognition is still there, I assume that it is.

I noticed you stated The GPS bars are now Horizontal (I liked the vertical better).

If you are refering to status bar you can change that in preferance setup page 4/ 8 status bar preferance.

Need help!
I have a USA TT720 with preloaded USA and Australia Maps. Just did the upgrade to version 8.xxx and after restarting I get a "You cannot use this map on this device: Australia"
Did a pin restart but still get the same.
As I live in Oz it would be useful to have the Australia map working.
thanks

Sounds silly..help...

Hi All,

This sounds silly, but what is Navcore 8 and how do I get it for my TT720?
Please help!

Thanks
LouisJ:eek:

Hi All,

Please help!

Thanks

You can find it when you connect your TT to HOME, there you can do an update and will show the update if it is available.
I did it and since then I have tried many things to get my TT 720 to work using my Australia map but i can't. It works with the North America map though.

Can anyone tell me how to get back to the previous version of TT720 application? I installed the 8.00 and since I cannot get it to work with my Australia map.
thank you

Can anyone tell me how to get back to the previous version of TT720 application? I installed the 8.00 and since I cannot get it to work with my Australia map.
thank you
If you had backed-up the TT before the update using Home or Windows Explorer, you might be able to restore the previous version. In Home there is an option to restore from Backup.
Alternatively, I would think that the back-up if done with the Windows Explorer can be replaced to the Memory of TT after connecting it to the PC.

Hi All,

Please help!

Thanks

Navicore 8 is the latest firmware/application revision update for the TomTom units released recently. You can get this by connecting the TT to the PC and using TomTom Home software. There is an option for 'Update my Device or make sure that TomTom Home is running and connect the TT to the PC via the USB, the TT Home software should automatically search for updates and display them.
The below link has some details from TomTom on this new update.
http://www.tomtom.com/6141

Make sure that you have the latest Tomtom Home software (2.3) installed in your PC (http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17)

In some cases it was observed that some TT which had earlier versions of firmware (7.05 or 7.10) had to install the 7.45 and were then offered 8.01 update. This all can be done by connecting to Tomtom Home.

I noticed you stated The GPS bars are now Horizontal (I liked the vertical better).

If you are refering to status bar you can change that in preferance setup page 4/ 8 status bar preferance.

I was refering to the GPS Strength bars in the Horizontal Bar. In 7.48 these were displayed vertically.
I was playing around with Tomtom and I noticed that if we reduce the details being displayed in the Status Bar by changing it from the preference menu (use only 4 items) the GPS signal bars would be vertical. When '5' itmes are ticked, the GPS signal bar becomes vertical. This solves my dislike to some extend.

Ask a Question