IQ doesnt display as fastest route

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
The IQ route *isnt* the fastest according to the TT unit

I was checking a route from my home to another address with which I am very familiar with.

Letting my GO730 with its IQ do its thing it gave the route as 35 minutes for 34.8 km.

I did a "Find alternative" then chose "Travel Via" and selected a Hwy (this Hwy does not appear at all on the IQ route).

Well this route shows as 33 minutes for 35.1 km :confused: .

Isnt this a contradiction? ie an IQ route should always show as the fastest?

Last edited:
This Friday morning Port Union Rd/401 to Aurora Rd/McCowan fastest route the 930 picked 401/404/Aurora Rd. In the afternoon it selected York/Durham Line to go back.
I presume IQ decided the rush hour south of Woodbine on the 404 made it slower then the 2-lane road.

A previous test in the morning on both the routes showed the "fastest" to be about 34 min,. vs. 37 min on the "no Motorways". The fastet route being about 12 km longer lost out, obviously.

This Friday morning Port Union Rd/401 to Aurora Rd/McCowan fastest route the 930 picked 401/404/Aurora Rd. In the afternoon it selected York/Durham Line to go back.
I presume IQ decided the rush hour south of Woodbine on the 404 made it slower then the 2-lane road.

A previous test in the morning on both the routes showed the "fastest" to be about 34 min,. vs. 37 min on the "no Motorways". The fastet route being about 12 km longer lost out, obviously.
But when users submit data to TT for IQ routing, only the day is specified, is it not? Not the hour.

But when users submit data to TT for IQ routing, only the day is specified, is it not? Not the hour.

I bet that is the case. For example: total volume in a...say...12 hour period (6 am to 6 pm)?

How do you think TT adds to or updates such data and gets it out to the units? Would it be through a firmware update or map update or...?

But so far I am very skeptical of TT's IQ in the (Greater)Toronto Area.

My pet peeve:

There is no doubt that Hwy 407 has less volume *any* day of the week than its near neighbour Hwy 401 and so I would expect any IQ route would use 407 over 401 whenever possible and practical. Yet way too often I am routed to the busy 401 :confused: .

Last edited:
I have read that IQ kicks in **only** if the user picks 'fastest' as a choice. I don't know how that plays into things regarding IQ. I don't have that with my 720 (and map 710)

I don't know how intelligent IQ Routes is.
Maybe one should make a test by giving it a time of arrival at rush hour and a second one at off times, both on a work day.

There is no doubt that Hwy 407 has less volume *any* day of the week than its near neighbour Hwy 401 and so I would expect any IQ route would use 407 over 401 whenever possible and practical. Yet way too often I am routed to the busy 401.
This may not be applicable but, under 'Toll road preferences', did you set the radio button ( . ) "Always avoid toll roads" to on?

This may not be applicable but, under 'Toll road preferences', did you set the radio button ( . ) "Always avoid toll roads" to on?

Definitely Arno.

My 730 will use the 407 but not enough; it clearly isnt taking it into account for IQ routes.

Are we 100% sure that TT has collected such data from Canadian roads?

Are we 100% sure that TT has collected such data from Canadian roads?
Saturday we went to a house warming party in a new sub-division in Bowmanville, ON.
Opened Google maps. Satellite view shows a nice large wooded field.
For directions I was told me "Make a right when you see the Pizza place on the left, then right again and then the first or second on the left.

I decided to add a POI to my personal address POI, using Tire and just move the spot to about where I thought it should be.
Opening Google maps from within Tyre I went to Bowmanville and the wooded area, increased the resolution and, lo-and-behold his street was there. Making the POI was easy although TT pointed out that "House numbers not available for this street". (Tsk, tsk !) No wonder as most houses still only displayed their lot numbers.

Goggle Maps through the browser uses a Navteq 2008 map and Google maps via Tyre uses the TeleAtlas 2008 map.
This was a big surprise to me as we always hear that the North American maps of European makers are not as accurate as the US maker. (Maybe it is better to be part of TomTom than Nokia.)

Alot of areas of the U.S. do not have enuff data to make IQ Routes work as well as we'd like. Same thing for Lane Assist.

I'd hope over a period of time..... we'll get much improved routing assistance, but that ain't gonna happen till the data's there to support it.

VERY cool feature when it does work......*and it really does work well

* EXAMPLE: I-75 North & South bound thru the city of Detroit, as I-75 is totally closed thru the downtown area. If you take the outerbelt = aprox 20+ miles outta the way. IQ routing routes you on a clean path thru Detroit saving you 15+ miles. I was skeptable..... but I followed the TT's instructions and it worked perfectly. KUDO's to TT and IQ Routing

yeah, tomtom has issues in canada. iq routes, when it's running 100%, will be one of the most useful features on the x730. they're taking in more and more information as it comes, so i'm optimistic for its future.

Tele Atlas is already showing improvements in North America. I read this review recently at GPS Magazine (it's for a Magellan, which also uses TA maps), and they have some positive views on the new maps:

The two largest mapping data providers are NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas . NAVTEQ used to have the advantage in mapping quality in North America. However, Tele Atlas has recently improved its US database, and both companies are now roughly equal in quality.
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/10/magellan_roadmate_1430_review.php?page=7

Does anyone in Canada have the latest TomTom maps? I do have them, but I haven't made a road trip to Canada in quite awhile - but I'm eager to hear how the newest ones are working.

Does anyone in Canada have the latest TomTom maps? I do have them, but I haven't made a road trip to Canada in quite awhile - but I'm eager to hear how the newest ones are working.

I notice an improvement in IQ routing with the 810 maps.

But I still see some of the same omissions or errors re streets etc as appeared on the the immediately previous maps.

Tele Atlas is already showing improvements in North America. I read this review recently at GPS Magazine (it's for a Magellan, which also uses TA maps), and they have some positive views on the new maps:

The two largest mapping data providers are NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas . NAVTEQ used to have the advantage in mapping quality in North America. However, Tele Atlas has recently improved its US database, and both companies are now roughly equal in quality.
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/10/magellan_roadmate_1430_review.php?page=7

AFAIK, Magellan is still using NavTeq maps, at least on the model got reviewed in your link.

With the new maps and new firmware, I noticed that it's constantly checking for faster routes when you slow down. On my drive to work it told me estimated time is XXX there are no faster routes.

With the new maps and new firmware, I noticed that it's constantly checking for faster routes when you slow down. On my drive to work it told me estimated time is XXX there are no faster routes.
Wanted to report about this but not start a new thread. You're giving me the perfect introduction.

Testing and entering a few things with the 930 in the cradle, not connected to the PC but a route selected
I got the reminder "estimated time is XXX there are no faster routes". It was repeated in five minute intervals,
including the updated time.

Ask a Question