XXL540 Problems from Holidays '10 fixed?

Hello all. Haven't been around in a looooooooong while and want to get a new unit. I know the XXL540 from a lil over a year ago had issues, mostly ones sold by amazon if i remember correctly. Have these issues been dealt with? Any new ones? Thanks.

Is the XL540 still recommended over the XL550? I need to be able to do custom routes, which at that point the "new" easy menu did not have at the time. I know you can hack it to include those options, which i have no idea. Plus, USB 1.1 transfers are painfully slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's a problem with the XL540 model. But, in every other aspect, I'd have an XL540 instead of a XL550.

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a few "XL"s to the previous posts, because I was reading it as a comparison of the GO540 and 550 (both of which CAN do Itineraries).

I like the XL540 but have never been able to resolve the safety camera issue. Never worked.

Go to "Manage my XL" in Tomtom home, and remove all instances of "Safety cameras" from the "items on device" tab and the "remove items on computer" tab.

Then close TT home, and then copy the contents of the file below to the folder:

mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\safetycamera

Then reopen Tomtom HOME, go to "manage my XL" and add safety cameras from the "install items from computer" tab.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge.zip
    103.3 KB · Views: 308
I like the XL540 but have never been able to resolve the safety camera issue. Never worked.

Go to "Manage my XL" in Tomtom home, and remove all instances of "Safety cameras" from the "items on device" tab and the "remove items on computer" tab.

Then close TT home, and then copy the contents of the file below to the folder:

mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\safetycamera

Then reopen Tomtom HOME, go to "manage my XL" and add safety cameras from the "install items from computer" tab.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks so much. Not even TT support could help with this issue. It installed. Where in the unit do I go to see if the Safety Camera feature works? Also will I get updates for them now through TT Home update?

Thanks again

Where in the unit do I go to see if the Safety Camera feature works? Also will I get updates for them now through TT Home update?

To confirm it's installed, go to menu -> Safety cameras, you should have a menu of safety-camera-related features. In my area of the US, there aren't many cameras in the database, it varies from town to town.

They should also be updatable in HOME.

I was offered first saftey camera update tonight on Home. I get the same error message I would get trying to install Safety camera feature from TT Home.

No biggy. Thanks again for all your help.

I was offered first saftey camera update tonight on Home. I get the same error message I would get trying to install Safety camera feature from TT Home.

What error message? Can you copy/paste into a post? I don't get any errors updating on my XXL540.

TTerror.jpg

Attachments

• TTerror.jpg
    TTerror.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 323
Are you on app 9.401? I've seen that error on other devices with app 9.400.

To update, go to Update my XL, deselect safety cameras so that it can update everything else, then once successful, go back to update my XL to get the safety cameras.

If it still shows up, can you post the full text on the show details screen?

I'm getting lots of "This image or video has been moved or deleted" messages, sab.

Oddly though, in your post #12, it's still visible as a thumbnail. Can you do whatever you did there with the last three?

I'm out of ideas here.

Dhn, do you have similar issues with speedcams? I'm wondering if it is a bug with the Canada setting on HOME.

Sab, if you change HOME's country to the USA, does the problem go away?

I set Home to USA and end up with the same problem.

I took down the images, not sure if there is any info on there that could cause me problems if in the wrong hands. If any of you want to take another crack at this issue I will put them back up.

As I have mentioned before, I have gotten this error since the very beginning. Thanks again for your time.

Ask a Question