XXL540 TM problems (resolved).

Seattle, WA (Where it RAINS all the time...)
TomTom Model(s)
XXL540TM
Hi -

New to gps; not new to computers. Purchased a XXL550TM from Costco; found out that it would not do a bunch of stuff; and returned it.

Now find the same with the XXL540TM

Serial number: RX450....
Version: 9.061.576030.2
MAPS: USA_CANADA_and MEXICO_P v865.3254
2 gigs.

My computer OS is WinXP Pro pack3

Had this for less than two weeks. Did not initially make a backup. Did make a backup (using Explorer) just after the map update... (to 865)

Have not as yet 'activated' for free maps; since am not sure we will be keeping this. To much aggravation.

Anyway - we would really like to be able to put a password in; and also for my wife to be able to load itinerary;s from the computer.

I went to: https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/24948-fixing-problems-xxl-540-a.html

and followed the instructions updating to 9.058 which allowed the emulator to work - but the gps device refused to be able to use the 865 map. And I don't know if it would have used the 860 map - since I don't have a backup of that...

Anyway - 9.058 lets me use the emulator; and you can even plan routes in the emulator - but the gps crashes, etc. when not hooked up to TomTom home, and the emulator. Very hard to get out of the 'loop' of can't use the -303 map error. The buttons don't want to work, etc.

Because of all your knowledge posts; I was easily able to revert back to previous. Then all works - but of course the emulator and making it function from TomTom Home does not...

I also tried this page: https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/24669-latest-application-xxl-540tm.html

But not real sure of how your supposed to deal with the 'list'. since I had already tried the 9.058 from previous; I went to the 9.103 section at the bottom of list. But for this not real sure what to do - so I unpacked the top -1.win2.2 xpi; and the 9.103 cab identified with the XXL and just copied everything over to the device.

Which allowed the emulator to run - but same map error of not being able to use the map. TomTom support had me delete the map (previous under 9.058) from the device; and from the computer in HOME; and then do a new download and reinstall. No effect.

Right now, I've restored the files; and have map 865 running; but have no emulator capability. Anyone have any ideas??

Plus, Tech support sent me an email stating that when they fixed the emulator issue - that the password capability would never work; and that it had been discontinued. I am quite fed up with a device which the manufacturer loads the software; and yet it still does not work. I appreciate all the time you in the forum put in to help people; but this is ridiculous.

Has anyone considered a Class Action Lawsuit? I mean Tom Tom is deliberately advertising and stating they have features which the KNOW do not work; and they apparently are not planning on actually fixing.

From some of my perusals of your posts; it seems the emulator issue has been going on since like October of last year; and the buggy software since sometime in 2009...

Anyway - I cannot currently get this to work with the map 865. If you can help - I would appreciate it. And thanks for your previous posts. But - it is able to currently work - helping to navigate thru Seattle; just not use the emulator...

David

Last edited:
The app 9.058 workaround did a good job on map 860 and earlier. That workaround was not supported by Tomtom, but worked for a while. We were "lucky", accidentally stumbling across the app 9.058 fix.

You're the second owner who said the workaround broke on map 865.

So your options are:
1) return it
2) wait, and hope Tomtom comes out with a fix (they're known to ignore bugs on old models, so don't keep your hopes up)
3) We can do trial and error on some ideas and you can try them out. There's no guarantee any of it will work, since none of the moderators have this new "post-Black-Friday" edition of the XXL540 that has all the bugs.

If you want to do trial and error, can you also post the "boot" value on the status screen?

3) We can do trial and error on some ideas and you can try them out. There's no guarantee any of it will work, since none of the moderators have this new "post-Black-Friday" edition of the XXL540 that has all the bugs.

Not sure if this will help yu, but I run a 540TM with map 865 and apps 103
Like many here I had problems after update from TTHome, but with map 860 this was resolved by using apps 9.058 or 9.103.
Not that with map 865 I only tried 9.103 so not sure if our issues are the same or if it will resolve it for you

_soso

Last edited:
Definitely appreciate your Help

MVL Thanks for the offer. Patri thanks for the thoughts...

If we can get this to work - that would be great!! Also - I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to gps... so I really believe (from what I've read) that you guys can probably suggest something - which would result in the 865 map working. I mean - the unit works (in HOME) after the 9.058 update - just not the map when disconnected from the computer. (And it is really hard to get it to connect to the computer - since none of the buttons work; and it goes into a perpetual 'can't use map' error loop (where those two buttons do function)) The map (since I uninstalled 9.058; and restored using backup) currently works.... Probably a suggestion from you guys on what file to copy or something - will result in a working 865 map. Request for BOOT info...

BOOT: 5.5279
Map: USA_CANADA_and_Mexico_P v865.3254
GPS v1.20
DEVICE: AKTY2 AJF5A
App: 9.061.576030.2
Serial #: RX4500....
RAM: 64 MB (free: 18.8 MB)

So, except for not having the org map - (only the update 865) - I have a backup of the device working as from the box. It is currently loaded, and working fine - except for no ability to 'operate my XXL" in HOME.

TomTom support already had me download (in Home) and reinstall the 865 map (while running 9.058) to try and get that to function. No functional effect. But maybe you might have a suggestion of some other file to copy over or some such...

Perfectly willing to play around with this based on your suggestions on what might fix it...

AND: I am not familiar with the tomtom models. Find the tomtom website a joke as far as comparing features, etc. Does a more current model exist, which you would suggest; which has the ability to 'record' map errors (and with a one button (or similar) push to mark a map error location while driving); and have Itinerary Planning; Life Time Maps and Traffic updates; IQ routes, (Vehicle, Bicycle, and Walk route provision) and camera traffic control lights notification - and have a nice large screen - (such as 5") Info on this would be appreciated.... Then, yes - I would return this in a heartbeat! BTW: The XXL550TM does not have the majority of those features. (Already returned it.)

Thanks for the reply. I await your further suggestions, instructions.

D.

Last edited:
More info

BTW: my first post - where I gave those links - the info on the 9.058 is easy to follow.

On the 9.103 - not sure that I got that 'installed' correctly at all. I became very confused as to the proper sequence, how to, etc. of the various files suggested.

D.

Tap your satellite bars. the next screen shows the application version installed.

The 9.103 link is here. You can repeat the same steps as you did with 9.058 to see if it helps.

(credit to beachjumper for providing the link from support)

Please let us know if map 865 works both in the emulator and on the device with the new app.

application

Yes - currently that is the 9.061.576030.2 which came installed on the unit.

Instructions are fine and easy for the 9.058 change...

I have difficulty knowing precisely what is required with this list of files at: https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-one-start-ease-xl-xxl/24669-latest-application-xxl-540tm.html

Perhaps a link stating more clear instructions to install the 9.103

Not sure, if when I attempted that (previously) I actually accomplished it; might had a lot of garbage files etc. For example, the -1.win.2.2.zip has a 'install.rdf' file in it. What am I supposed to do with that??

Which of the links of various files would be best to try, and the sequence?

Also - does a problem exist with the search capability here at this forum?? I attempted to get more info by using the 'search' function - searching on the term: 9.103

I have that term in my posts. Looking for other posts. But, no matter how I typed it; even just '103' - it always came back with 'zero' results.... And I was not able to locate instructions on the 'search' rules in this forum...

Last few days the 'random' number question has always been 3+4; and I have been having difficulty with the search function. Won't take 'phrases'; and simple words like: xxl540 return lots of results; while nothing for other terms such as 103

Just took a look at it while typing this; and still same - except that the math question seems to have been removed...

But - not at all sure on how to do the change to 9.103 from those files listed....

D.

No functioning 865 Map

After installing 9.103 we have the following upon start up of the XXL540TM device:

First Screen (Red Background) message:

Problem with map

You cannot use this map on this device:
USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-303

Have to click 'OK' - which moves you to the following screen:

'Select a map" where we have the map which we are not allowed to use...
USA Canada and Mexico P

Holding button until drum roll, etc.
Bootloader version: S5.5279

TomTom Home v2.8

When connecting to HOME - it comes up with a warning that: "Your map has not been updated for more than 20 weeks. Unfortunately Map Share map corrections are temporarily not available." (now, I didn't have the internet connected...)

Going to the settings menu via HOME (can't get anywhere right now via the device); we have the following:

Device: AKTY2 AJF5A
App: 9.103.539753.103
Ram: 32 MB / 32.0 Free
GPS v1.20
Boot 1.0012
Map: "USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v865.3254

One thing I notice other than it not currently being able to use the 865 map:

The Boot info version which was previously requested was: 5.5279
The 9.103 puts in a Boot 1.0012

However; the loose files in the device have a file named: bootloaderversion.txt

with:
BootloaderTarget=s3c24xx
Bootloaderversion=5.5279

The install of the 9.103 app did not change or modify those in any manner.... so it is not in agreement with actual...

Also - I have NOT as yet activated the 'lifetime map' updates. Didn't wish to mess someone up if I returned it... not sure what that affect would have on the map running in this situation....

Just an observation. Any suggestion on how to get the 865 map happy with the device, while keeping the Home 'operate my xxl' function??

Last edited:
Yes, I've done that. No effect.

Although, it states it is 'installing'. Which I guess is the 'flash' part.

After the 'install', and we are at the 'quit' screen; I hit the back button, and redo the 'install'. Done that more than 3 times.

Never got to a "we are now going to flash your device screen" Proceed - Yes? or NO? which would be a more normal 'flash' execution I would think...

D.

You have to go to "finish", and then rerun the program each time.

It should show a screen you've never seen before on the Tomtom, a blank screen with a split second status bar moving across the bottom very quickly. That's how you know it ran.

It that doesn't work, my next theory will take a while.

I'm wondering if Tomtom HOME now has new license keys that lock maps to a specific application version.

Assuming you have a backup safe and sound:
1) quickformat the Tomtom drive
2) close Tomtom HOME
3) open your mydocuments folder, and rename the Tomtom folder to TomtomOLD
4) now reopen HOME, and keep accepting the application updates Tomtom HOME offers (don't install anything but applications yet)
5) once there are no applications to install, install the map it should offer
6) after the map, install a single voice
7) now close Tomtom HOME, and again use winrar to copy the contents of the 9.058 cab from here onto the Tomtom

Last edited:
Did not ever get it flashed previously then. I'll work on that till we see it happen...

That split second status bar - is that on the computer screen, or on the Device screen??

Your second option - why with the 'quick format' /Other posts have stated to avoid the quick format option...

And is there some special way to do 'searches' of content here at this forum? I'm having difficulty. For example '103' gives no results... Makes it kind of hard trying to do research and not post questions which have already been answered....

D.

The clearflash should show up on the Tomtom screen.

One limitation of the forum software is that all search words have to be 4 letters or longer.

If you want to search 3 characters, use google. For example, you can search for:
9.103 site:tomtomforums.com

Appreciate the help. Thanks for the search tip info.

I have not as yet managed to flash this unit then. Not sure that it would help - if I just delete the files, (everything but map (cause its large)) and copy all back from the backup - the device will be back up and running just by turning off and back on.... (so far anyway the 5 or 6 times I've done this...)

FLASH - absolutely nothing on the device. It does momentarily display the red x of don't unplug....

The device is currently almost a brick. It is quite a pain to get it to hook up to the computer. None of the buttons work; have it plugged into computer; and turn it on - you will get the message of asking do you want to connect. But you CAN'T because the buttons don't work.

To get it to connect - you have to hold down the switch till drum roll, and then it will connect if already plugged in...

The only buttons which work, are the map select ones - which it defaults to - since it doesn't like the map...

FLASH - I have a 'quick' status bar on the computer screen, when attempting to flash. (That is when the red x comes up briefly on the device). That's it. Where is this program 'installing' to? I've done everything I can do with regards to the flash. I looked at the device folder to see a 'flash.exe' but that did not exist in the device...

I will do the stuff for TomTom Old and the license keys.... See if that works. Are you sure you want a 'quick' format? Frankly - not sure that it really matters if quick or total - the file system declares they are gone either way.... so it really shouldn't matter.

I'll try it and let you know.

In the meantime - what with reading about the work arounds to restore function to the XXL550TM - I'm really thinking to just take this XXL540 back and do the hacks to restore the Itinerary and other functions.

Does TomTom have a device which basically works as advertised without a lot of hacks? 5" screen, It planning, password capable; IQ routes, etc. What would you suggest?

I know the Lat/Long function will not be available in the 550; and I do like the compass - but I have been trying to learn the 360 degree code anyway... was going to draw out a circle and paste it, so that I could learn it. More accurate.

I'll give your license suggestion a shot. If you have a way to get Flash to operate - let me know. And I'd like to hear any suggestion for a gps which TomTom supports which has IT planning, etc (features mentioned above...)

D.

clearflash cleans up cobwebs in the part of the Tomtom that isn't exposed to the USB-drive emulator. (There's more files on the device than you can see via the visible filesystem).

You should be able to run clearflash without any other special preparation, and you'll never know it does anything (other than the map error may spontaneously go away).

I forgot about one more step in my quickformat instructions, notice the last step that I added about putting back 9.058.

Regarding a reliable, 5" model with itinerary planning, see if you can buy a XXL540 in a store. So far, we've only seen the garbage 9.056 and higher software on Amazon. No one has yet complained about XXL540s they've obtained in a brick&mortar store. See if the store will let you turn it on to confirm that it has app 9.053 or lower preinstalled before purchase.

Tomtom has promised itinerary planning would be added to the GO2505 by summer 2011, but they're already behind schedule on other promises so you never know for sure.

Last edited:
Interesting

MVL -

This came from Amazon with 9.061 installed.

Following your instructions, after a quick format; HOME proceeded to put some app onto it... Required reboot.

Seeing a lot of screen scrolling....

But, after you get it reconnected - HOME updated the app which it had just installed - to 9.053 It is now dealing with the map...

Is it not going to offer 9.058 from HOME??

Not sure how you guys figure all this out; but this might work...:cool:

Let ya know.

D.

Are you saying that 9.053 doesn't scroll, and works fine with the map?

If so, then stop there, don't bother with 9.058. If 9.053 still scrolls or doesn't start up, then you'd need 9.058.

Ask a Question