New XXL540M User - problems already

I received my new GPS today as a gift. I installed the software on my computer and allowed it to update. However, when I went to enter my code for the free lifetime maps update, it tells me the code has already been used and cannot be used again. I opened the sealed box myself and don't see how the code could already have been used. Customer service is closed for the holidays. Has anyone else had such a problem and were you able to get it fixed?

Thanks!

The good news is that TomTom knows from your serial number that you own an "M" model, and have lifetime maps coming to you. How the number appears to be "reused" is one we can't answer, but a call to CS on Monday morning should get it resolved. All I can suggest (though I'm sure you've done it three times already) is to assure you're getting the number in correctly.

The user Alicez posted mid way through her thread TomTom XXL 540TM Registering / updating that her code was already used as well so your not alone.

Help!! I also have a new xxl540tm wte and first thing I did was make an explorer backup.

Then, trying to update the system/maps it was doing fine, then said it needed to restart the unit. The screen on my 540 froze and so I have since forced a restart by holding down the power button for several seconds. Now when it restarts, I get nothing by the tomtom screen!

When connecting to the computer, I can't do anything! It supposedly sees the unit, says it's up to date, but no information is displayed about it.

Do I need to restore it already? How? Please help!

I'm guessin that maybe you have re-furbed units.. Hence the bogus code.. I read that someone else had this exact same thing happen and had to email a reciept to Tom Tom to get the code released.

Help!! I also have a new xxl540tm wte and first thing I did was make an explorer backup.

Then, trying to update the system/maps it was doing fine, then said it needed to restart the unit. The screen on my 540 froze and so I have since forced a restart by holding down the power button for several seconds. Now when it restarts, I get nothing by the tomtom screen!

When connecting to the computer, I can't do anything! It supposedly sees the unit, says it's up to date, but no information is displayed about it.

Do I need to restore it already? How? Please help!

Since you have the Explorer backup (good person! ;) ), format the unit. don't use quickformat. Then restore your backup. See if that helps.

dhn, Just to clarify (I really don't want to screw it up again), do I format it like any other drive (once connected to the computer, right click on the drive and press "format")?

then, to restore, I just copy all of the files from my initial backup back onto the 540?

Last, connect to Home and update?

Also, just to clear up any confusion, my code for the unlimited map updates seemed to go through, it said it was a valid code, but not authorized for my device (after this issue of locking up, it lists my unit as a 540s, not the 540tm it is). I will try again after this restore.

Yes, format the way you said in your post. Don't worry about it referring to the unit as a 540S.

Okay, thanks! I reformatted and then restored all files from my original backup. It's working!

After hooking up the device with Home again, it said my maps were out of date and wanted me to pay, but since I have the TM version, it accepted my code with no issues and updated the US/Can/Mex maps.

Question: for the 30 day initial map update guarantee, will that also cover the Europe map? I think I will call customer service to try and get that update (I know my unlimited map updates only covers North America).

Since it's working now, I will do another explorer backup!
These forums are a life saver!

Thanks again!

Ask a Question