XL Live IQRoutes announced

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
TomTom introduced the newest model today, the TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes Edition. Integrating their connected services (HD Traffic, Speedcams, Fuel prices, Google Local search, Weather), it's a fair bit less expensive than the x40 live series and in addition works across most of Europe rather than the single country of purchase for the previous Live devices. While both sales and subscription renewals (around 30%) have so far been a disappointment, there's hope that the lower initial device costs might make the new XL Live's more attractive. No word on whether the model will be released for North America, but I assume it will and would guess for a fall release. The 740 was only recently brought to the US market and I would think TomTom would allow some period of at least a few months for those sales before releasing a lower cost model with nearly the same features. No additional Live services are offered, with only traffic, weather and Google Local Search (and speedcams for what they're worth) not already available at no charge from TomTom and most cellphone owners can access the bulk of these and much more. To make the subscription attractive enough, additional services will have to be added. $120 per year for what it delivers (even higher in Europe) is a bit too steep for many, especially outside of big metro dwellers. Just my opinion.

Sounds like a nice device! But OH that $120/year subscription is a turn-off for me. To make that work out, the device would need to costs about two-years worth ($240) less than the 740, unless of course if they added some of the key features we've all put on this forum's WishList.

Ask a Question