@#$%! Window Mount

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
OK, what's the solution to keeping the window mount mounted, especially in the wintertime in New England?

I don't use my Tom Tom much anymore because the @#$%! suction cup will not stay on the window and I refuse to glue it to my dashboard -- regardless of whether the adhesive is claimed to be "removable" or not.

So -- what's the answer? Does the window mount just completely suck? If so, is there a good aftermarket replacement?

Anyone else have this issue and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

OK, what's the solution to keeping the window mount mounted, especially in the wintertime in New England?

I don't use my Tom Tom much anymore because the @#$%! suction cup will not stay on the window and I refuse to glue it to my dashboard -- regardless of whether the adhesive is claimed to be "removable" or not.

So -- what's the answer? Does the window mount just completely suck? If so, is there a good aftermarket replacement?

Anyone else have this issue and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

Clean the windshield with isopropyl alcohol to clean all grease/slime/etc. My suction cup hasn't released in 3 months from temps ranging from -10F to 50F

Clean the windshield with isopropyl alcohol to clean all grease/slime/etc. My suction cup hasn't released in 3 months from temps ranging from -10F to 50F

Whaaaat!! You got to 50F in Vermont in the last 3 months! :)

Whaaaat!! You got to 50F in Vermont in the last 3 months! :)

I bought the after market mount from the mount guys. It stays put.

I had it mounted on my dash but it vibrated so bad as my dash is padded so it flexes with the weight of the 720 on the mount I just pulled the mount ring of today and went back to the windshield right below the mirror. My windshield is so long it is the only place it can go.

Although in OH, I definitely agree with Birdman... before you you clean your windshield w/ alcohol, make sure it is not frozen (ie, that no ice is on it). You may also want to warm up your car (put defrost on), then clean your windshield and...

I've found that applying saliva (spit) around the rim gives a good solid seal.

... exactly!

Yes, make sure the window is clean before attaching it. Mine has stayed on since Christmas. Temp range -45 to +5 Celcius. (that cold snap was a tough one! -57 with wind chill:eek: )

I used to have issues with it staying held when I brought it out from the house to a cold car. I found once I turned on the defogger, and applied some spit it worked great with not issues.

TT Mounts

I've checked out the "Pro-Clips" folks after reading some great reviews on their hardware. The seam to have all kinds of mounting systems for all kinds of gadgetry. I'm getting ready to get the mounting system for my '04 Avalanche.

I'll post again after I get it installed and road test it abit.

Safetyman

I found the TomTom alternative mount for the 720 to work well. The suction is much better than the original mount that the TomTom 720 comes with. This is a link for one but you can search the web to try and find a better price. http://www.eworldsale.com/tomtom-9m00003-for-kit-accessories-alternative-mount-go-720-alternative-tomtom-accessories_8500_20711.html

The alternative mount also works well with the Nav Mat. http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=nav-mat-for-gps-mobile-units&PIN=58849&GUID=51D74025-BAEA-46F4-AA5E-0AEC0082B236&BC=S&DL=SEH1

I would suggest like the rest to clean the window etc.
Also first place the mount on the window next the unit. Don't place the unit on the mount the attach it to the window - it will fall off!

i do the spit thing...rub some spit on it and put it on the windshield, then give it a couple of good pushes....leave it overnight without the unit attached...the next day go out and give it a push more pushes...then it should be all set

i wet a paper towel with window cleaner, wipe the window and then the suction cup, leave them alittle wet and then just press it to the window, push hard in the center, wait a few minutes and put tom tom on. never had a problem with it falling off until i wanted to remove it, and this is in a big truck that doesn't have the softest of rides..

Window mount in New England

I live in Connecticut where it's cold enough. All I do, and it works great, is to keep a bottle of water in the car. When I need to apply the mount I wet a napkin and wipe the suction cup with the napkin before applying it to the windshield. My unit has never fallen off the windshield since purchasing it in mid-December. BTW...the napkin does double duty...when I remove the mount I wipe the tell-tale ring off the windshield to keep the thieves away.

Jack Weintraub

which mount did you buy?

I bought the after market mount from the mount guys. It stays put.

trying to decide between this one:
http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TT520-115

and this goose-neck one:
http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TT520-120

i am not going to use it on the dash, so it is the different kind of window suction that i am curious about.

it looks like the first one has a lever for the section cup, and the second one has the moisten kind...

I'm using the alternative TT one that xAaron suggested. It has the clamp on the suction so it's definitely on there. Found it cheaper locally. I also like that it's closer to me then the standard one.

Ask a Question