Will You Use The iphone TomTom app?

With the news of an app from TomTom coming for the iphone, I'll have to admit, I'm kind of excited. I guess my question is, will i get rid of my TomTom device and start using the iphone, loaded with the TomTom app?

Here's a cool video and pictures of the new iphone TomTom app: TomTom for iPhone

Does anybody have some inside information on the app? Will I be able to treat it just like any other TomTom and load new voices, POI's, Maps...ect? Can I put Mr. T and Burt Reynolds on the app and not have all my memory gone? If I go on holiday and load a new map will I sill have enough space left to use it as an ipod player too? What happens when I get a text message just as I'm being told what exit to take on a roundabout? What's the cost going to be?

I'm excited but I have a lot of questions. Anybody else considering dropping their device and just using their iphone as their TomTom? Fair play to TomTom though. I believe their stock went up 18% from this little move. It was always going to happen I just hope that now it has they make it good and for the costumer, not just the money.

Thoughts?

Does anybody have some inside information on the app?

We have a members on this forum who scour the web for tidbits of info and post it when they find it. We also have a few people who know information covered by non-disclosure agreements, and they post what they can once Tomtom permits or otherwise publicly announces.

I'm in the former camp, I like to make educated guesses from web surfing, but have no inside info.

Keep tuned to the forum and we'll provide any info we can. Tomtom said the release will be this summer, so your questions will be answered soon.

Anybody else considering dropping their device and just using their iphone as their TomTom?

Personally, I doubt I will buy it because I doubt I'll get an iphone. I haven't used the iphone because the monthly fee for AT&T is steep. I use a razr2 minibrowser on the $10/mo data plan on tmobile, and bluetooth tether to my palm tx if I need a bigger screen. Serves most of my needs at a much lower monthly cost.

I like 2 devices in my pocket because I can write down addersses on one device while talking to someone on the other. If palm releases a non-phone pre that pulls data off a bluetooth tether, and tomtom writes an app for the non-phone pre that pulls traffic off the bluetooth, then I'd consider buying it. I hate carrying a third device (the tomtom) around, just to prevent theft.

I'd much prefer tomtom partner with Kenwood and make a aftermarket in-dash nav. I have a 2005 accord nav that I ignore because the tomtom iqroutes directions are so much better. And my other car has a kenwood excelon that meets all my Sirius or MP3 on usb (or my wife's ipod) needs.

I'm excited but I have a lot of questions. Anybody else considering dropping their device and just using their iphone as their TomTom?
Nope. I'm happy with the lashup I am using now. I'm on a Sprint advantage plan that is so cheap, you don't even want to hear about it. Legacy employee program. I use my Moto 750 for a phone and with Opera Mini when I need web information. The TomTom stays in the car as the "gross navigation" device whose purpose is to get me as close as possible to my destination on some sort of road. The Garmin handheld MUST stay because neither the phone nor the TomTom would be accurate enough for what I'm doing with the Garmin handheld. The iPhone isn't accurate enough, either. The Garmin brings me down to a claimed 8' radius on a good day, and it's often really even closer than that if you give it a minute to settle.

If Apple would reconsider their GPSr chipset (gimme a fully enabled SIRFIII w/WAAS, thank you), add the internal mag compass of the Garmin handheld, and create an application that thought it was a Garmin Oregon, then we might be talking about switching hardware, but it sure is hard to beat the cost of the Sprint plan I'm on .. yeah, $20 a month with unlimited data. Unique situation. Even with that, the TomTom would stay on the dash, doing exactly what it's doing now.

The car kit does incorporate a gps chip, perhaps the same Hammerhead we know, to bypass the iPhones internal one, addressing one weakness of the phone. But without knowing the price structure, which I expect to include a subscription, as well as the cost of the active dock, it's going to be hard for anyone but a diehard I'er to give a definitive yes to your question. I expect yearly costs to be in the range of $100, with another $100 give-or-take for the dock, but that's based on nothing but an educated guess. Overall, a dedicated entry-level pnd would still be cheaper if I'm anywhere close to what they announce.

I guess I've just got ahead of myself and over excited. Like most things in life, time will tell.

With the stock rising 18% though, I can't be the only person to think that TomTom has collared the most sort after next step in navigation systems.

Thanks for your input so far. I'm looking forward to more information as it comes in.

The car dock will probably address the poor built in GPS receiver while the iPhone is in the car BUT its no use should you intend doing geocache type work in field as the iPhone is hopeless for this. I have a 3G 16GB iFone (spelling is deliberate, kinda tells you what I think of it) As a phone its great, I hope the OS3 update introducing certain functionality that I have taken for granted for years while using PDA based devices, (Cut & Paste/ A2DP are the main attractions for me) at long last this device has started to grow up.

The built in GPS is poor, the speaker not too hot and if you start pushing the device the battery life isn't very good, internet usage on Forums is pathetic compared to PDA based devices as the iFone constantly disconnects making the "show new posts since last visit" useless.

I might consider the TT application but this will depend upon cost as its far from ideal needing to take a car holder, cable and phone between cars. If the built in GPS can be made to work to an acceptable level I might be interested, but I certainly don't want another car holder as the Brodit and iO-Play device I have is a decent solution to my needs - Mike

Hah

Nope not me...

1) I love my 730 and I am highly skeptical that this iPhone app will be as robust in features as a good standalone unit.

2) After watching Apple at WWDC I'm getting a Palm Pre :)

I can see this app selling well.

The iPhone is pretty good at lots of different stuff (never the best at any one thing), and is extremely simple to use. So there's a reason it sells so well.

If I were the type that didn't mind the added monthly fee that AT&T charges just for the honor of owning an iPhone (millions of other people didn't mind), it makes obvious sense to buy the tomtom app and dock, instead of a standalone GPS.

It really is a hassle lugging that extra GPS device everywhere you go, just so it isn't stolen. The iPhone, when paired with the dock, has the required hardware to do everything the flagship 940 can do. Let's hope the software features are up to the task.

Personally, I'm hoping Tomtom ups it's Navigator 7 to a IQroutes and traffic-data compatible version. I'd love to run Navigator on my Palm TX (or some non-phone webOS successor) and just tether the traffic through my Razr2.

If I were the type that didn't mind the added monthly fee that AT&T charges just for the honor of owning an iPhone (millions of other people didn't mind), it makes obvious sense to buy the tomtom app and dock, instead of a standalone GPS.

Rant on
What extra iPhone fee??? I wish people would stop saying that the iPhone cost more per month than other smart phones. The truth is that the monthly cost for an iPhone is exactly the same as any other smart phone that has a data plan.
Rant off

Anyway If I get an iPhone and TT does a good job with the App and Dock I'll likely get one and keep my 920 for emergency use.

From ATTWS website:

"Please note: Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future. - Data Plan for iPhone: $30.00/month"

Yes, other carriers charge similar rates for smart phone data, T-mobile charges $25. But it includes tethering, and is optional (eg: you can choose to have no data plan if you wish).

I skirt this added cost by bluetooth tethering my palm TX (and my tomtom 720) to a Razr2. It's great for low volume usage, and costs $9.99 / month for 100mb.

Not true. The new Palm Pre on the Sprint Everything Data Plan is $70 a month, 450 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited text. On AT&T you'll spend $90 a month for an identical plan. That's 15% higher than a plan on the Pre (a better overall smartphone IMO). And you can get Unlimited Everything, voice , data, text, from Sprint for just $99. Take a look at AT&T's price. Better yet, Sprint is rolling out a 4G network, and already has in some areas. Not AT&T

Tt better hurry

I'd use the app in a minute! I intend to buy it and see how it behaves without the mount. If I'm not happy I'll get the mount and pass on my 510 to my son. I've had the iPhone since day one and love it. Just got the 3gs.
That said, TT had best hurry as v1 of the Navigon app is getting good reviews. It has a few issues but all in all seems quite solid for a first pass. TT could be losing sales to Navigon by not getting their app out there (or at least giving a ballpark release date.)
I know they said "summer" but that's not really helpful if someone is on the fence to buy Navigon now or wait.

My personal opinion is that TT fans will wait and everyone else who is interested in a nav app will get the Navigon since the TT app is really vaporware until it hits the App store.
Anyone at TT listening ?

Out of the two applications currently in the app store (Navigon and Sygic) I would go for Sygic in preference, I have used both and its so much more capable as an application and the GPS doesn't drop quite as often, strange that GPS reception can be affected by the software but its the same phone in the same car mounted in the same holder. With Navigon running the phone loses the signal on a very regular basis, with Sygic things are much better with only occasional loss of the signal. I will probably try TomTom once its made available as the IQ Routes feature will be the main improvement they have over the competition.
What I would like to see from the Navigation suppliers is the ability to add custom POI files, configure warnings of POI files (Sygic does both of these if you jailbreak the phone and mess around with it). In addition we should have the ability to add/ remove maps from the phone, I have full Europe for both Sygic and Navigon, to save space on my 16GB device I want to remove all but the UK map then add the areas I want for overseas trips as and when needed. This is one area TomTom are not going to be able offer due to their mapping files structure but the other two could very easily. And all the above needs to be without jailbreaking the phone - Mike

Ask a Question