Which warning for Fixed Gatsos?

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 550
Hi, sorry if this has been covered, I've searched but can't find it anywhere.
I have a TomTom Go Live 550 and I want it to say 'Warning - Gatso ahead' and tell me the speed limit when I'm near a camera.
I went into settings and found Fixed Cameras. I went in to change the warning and was faced with loads of different warnings from 'Warning,gatso ahead. Speed limit 30 miles per hour' to 'Warning,gatso ahead. Speed limit 70 miles per hour'.
Surely if I choose, for instance, 'Warning, gatso ahead. Speed limit 50 miles per hour', it will say that if the speed limit is 30 miles per hour or 70 miles per hour?
In a nutshell, how do I set it to tell me the correct speed limit?

Many thanks.

UK based supermod will pop into this thread at some point today and provide appropriate guidance.

Check back!

My understanding (based on using my 1005) is that the TomTom camera database doesn't differentiate by speed. Thus you can only have one warning for Gatso. Using 3rd party POI files, you will find that they *are* categorised by speed, which means you can use a different warning for each one.

I decided not to go to the trouble, so the warning I use is merely a generic "Warning - Gatso ahead". Have been using this for some weeks, and haven't really felt I *needed* to be told the speed too. I should know the speed of the road I am driving on, without being told, and besides, it's marked pretty clearly on the screen!

Thanks for that. I do actually "know" what the speed limit is on any road I'm travelling on at any given time. I just presumed that because there were warnings with different speeds, they would be there for a purpose and you could actually "use" them.

Sorry if it seemed my comment of "I should know the speed of the road I am driving on" was aimed at you. That wasn't my meaning, but reading back, I can see how it could have been misinterpreted.

All I was doing was explaining the internal debate I'd had in deciding not to bother with downloading more detailed speed camera information - no slight was intended, other than to myself!

Sorry for late reply... been away.

Whether you can do what you want (have the speed limit announced as you approach a camera) is entirely dependent on who's speed camera database you are using.

TomTom's OWN database does not have the ability to have different warning audio for different camera speeds, ONLY camera types.

If you want the full audio description of type and speed, then you need to use a third-party speed cam database using the POI warning system built into the TomTom.

To my mind, the best in the UK is the one from PGPSW. Their database comes with a choice of standard male or female warning voices (with or without a chime sound before the voice) and they also have several older voice warning sets still archived on their site if you prefer one of those.

Ask a Question