Which US models will support HD traffic in USA

TomTom Model(s)
I'm getting ready to upgrade my 920 and wanted a TOMTOM unity that will support HD traffic when it becomes available in the USA. Does anyone know which models I should be on the watch for? Also considering the Garmin Nuvi 3700 series when it is released.

If true HD traffic comes to the States, don't think any current models will support it.

It varies from service to service and region to region. If you're in a major metro then TomTom's Live service will better serve you. Otherwise it's a crapshoot. Note that TomTom and some Garmin devices use the exact same traffic provider, Clear Channels Total Traffic Network. Garmin's two other providers are Navteq Traffic and MSNDirect.

I'm in the Washington DC area so maybe the Live service is the way to go. Reading reviews, it does look like this unit has some issues. Any preferences for the 340 over the 740 model?

The 740 is the LIVE model. The 340 series is not LIVE.
tomtoms biggest advantage is that iqroutes usually finds a better avoidance path than competitors when traffic is reported since iqroutes has historical traffic on sideroads. also the 340s live is one variant of the 340 series that has live traffic. all other 340 models dont have live traffic.

I'm in the Washington DC area so maybe the Live service is the way to go. Reading reviews, it does look like this unit has some issues. Any preferences for the 340 over the 740 model?

I am in the Bmore area. Many a trip to DC before during and after the rush hours. I am currently using both an Iphone with TomTom and the car kit and 740 live with traffic. I find the 740 and the TomTom with the kit work well in DC. The Iphone on the car kit loads faster and displays the traffic a little better than the 740 (warning information pops up automatically). The routing and the traffic are identical on both units.

So, do I pull the trigger on the 740 live or wait for a unit that will offer the HD traffic. I've read other posts on the forum that they are having issues with the traffic feature.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a unit with HD traffic to come to the States if you are reasonably eager (read: the next six months) to get a new unit.

I could be wrong, just saying.....................:cool:

So, do I pull the trigger on the 740 live or wait for a unit that will offer the HD traffic. I've read other posts on the forum that they are having issues with the traffic feature.
i was in the same situation a year ago and finally gave up and got a 740. got sick of waiting, and getting stuck in traffic jams. other than the loss of a music player im happy with it.

The only issue I might consider with the 740 is whether TomTom is going to continue application improvements/fixes for it much longer. Tomtom has moved on from the x40's in Europe and I'm expecting the same here fairly soon on the 740. It's a good device but no longer in TomTom's plans. Since it sounds like you're wanting a TomTom with the best near future, it might be worth a wait 60-90 days to see if something materializes. If you just can't wait there's nothing wrong with choosing the 740. I felt it was the best available device from them when I bought mine a year ago.

Last edited:

Ask a Question